Antivirus XP 2008 Removal

TOMSTEPHENSON1 11:30 21 Aug 2008

This uninvited program has installed itself on my computer. I cannot remove it unless I comply with its blackmail threats and pay for a licence.
It takes up all my desktop screen and constantly runs scans and gives me warnings about 100s of "viruses" I suppose to have on my computer.
I checked through PC Advisor past forums on the subject and ended up paying out 70€ for a full fusion of Spy Hunter 3 download.
Spy Hunter detected 3 associated parasites and after a clean out says they are not there now.
I have rebooted and its still there.
I have gone into my control panel and tried removing it form the add/remove programs facility but it will not let me remove it.
If anyone can offer any help I would be very gratefull.
Tom

EARLR 11:50 21 Aug 2008

micky d 12:10 21 Aug 2008

I had this 'uninvited program' on my system a few weeks back & after gong through various forums looking for solutions i ended up doing a factory restore as 1. i couldn't really comprehend the solutions i saw as i'm not that technically minded & 2. i couldn't perform a system restore which, i presume, was down to the Antivirus 2008 intrusion.

So, if all else fails,Tom the Tank, you may have to reset your computer to the factory settings.

It was a blessing in disguise in my case as my system is now running much quicker & smoother.

Marko797 12:15 21 Aug 2008

There's been a lot of this virus/malware kicking about lately. Seems the best solution is Malware Bytes Anti Malware, which incidentally is Free.

Try googling it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie