Antivirus Review....

Gaz 25 13:18 16 Nov 2003

I thought it would be a good idea for new users that are not protected by antivirus software, I am going to give my ideas and ratings on all of them I have looked at.

Norton Antivirus 2004: A great antivirus overall, detects many virues as well as spyware. It is easy to use and simple, as well as keeping itself up-to-date every week. click here

Overall Rating: 7/10

Virus scanning: Could be improved, it can be slow and sluggish at times. Could detect more viruses! 8/10

For: Easy to use! Decent support.

Against: Norton can be troublesome and cause problems with your system, however some users dont have these troubles. Also is a little expensive.

AVG Free: A free and reliable antivirus that proides enough protection for most home users, and gives free updates every week or so. Uses hardly any CPU or memory power. It is the most rocksolid reliable antivirus I hae tested out of the bunch. Not so good on detection with the smaller viruses though.
click here

Overall Rating: 9/10

Virus scanning: Fast, reliable and does not crash or fail to detect any viruses in the database. However where it fails is on customisation and the number of viruses it can detect. 10/10

For: Quick updates, FREE, Fast and very reliable.

Against: Not enough viruses were detected, such as the Deltree trojan. Could be slightly better, but its FREE!!!!!

Panda Antivirus PLATINUM 7.0: A fast, quick and excellent virus scanner, with a good cleaning engine. It updates daily and silently, installs well and has excellent customisation. click here

Virus scanning: Excellent, fast and quick! 9/10

For: Daily silent updates, quick and includes firewall.

Against: This software is great, other than on the systems I have used it on, ends up corrupting a few files. Shame, program is not up to the standard of virus scanning. A little expensive.

Trend Micro: Great virus detection, regular updates and quite quick. However not too impressed with the GUI and interface. click here

Virus scanning: Excellent, fast and quick! 9/10

For: Fast, Reliable, quick removal.

Against: This software is great, other than on the systems I have used it on, ends up corrupting a few files. Shame, program is not up to the standard of virus scanning.

AVAST: Detects a lot of viruses, free updates and quick, reliable. click here

Virus scanning: Excellent, fast and quick and very reliable! Detected all viruses thrown at it. 10/10

For: Free, Reliable, Quick and customasable.

Against: Not much we can say against it, except a little annoying alarm when it detects a virus, but this can be dacked.

So you decide!!! Which ones have lived up to detect all your viruses?

critic-al 13:31 16 Nov 2003

SOPHOS for me 11/10

TheTerminator 13:31 16 Nov 2003

a nice review, well done! It's amazing how often people ask these questions - the best firewall and anti virus killer, so being able to point people to this website is great. Well done!

leo49 13:35 16 Nov 2003

Hi Gaz - thought you'd gone into hibernation as we haven't seen you about much. :o)

powerless 13:36 16 Nov 2003

You missed one out ;-))

...Which by tests is actually the best.

powerless 13:39 16 Nov 2003

p.s. apparently.

leo49 13:42 16 Nov 2003

Unfortunately no AV program has HID protection. Now if someone came up with a program that would deliver an electric shock through the keyboard of increasing severity as each day goes by without the operator checking for updates.......

bremner 13:42 16 Nov 2003

This is a pure subjective opinion.

I would not touch AVG with a barge pole as it let me down and one of my machines was infected with a virus, so I would give it 0/10

on the other hand NAV 2003 has never let me down, caught the virus that AVG let in and so I would say 10/10.

Amateur reviewing should be treated with due caution as we all our own opinions.

Gaz 25 13:44 16 Nov 2003

Mcaffe viruscan 7: A great antivirus solution that detects and removes all known virus with ease, it was quite quick and offerd good protetion, also very easy to use. click here

Virus scanning: Detected all virus thrown at it, removed them no problem, it was quite relaible, but was tricky at times. 10/10

For: Regular updates, Fast and quite reliable.

Against: It was a little tricky and the installation was slightly offputting. Expensive too.

Sophos AV: A fast, reliable antiirus system. Detected viruses well and quickly. No crashes or BSODS. click here

Virus scanning: Detected viruses well, scanned the whole drive quickly and updated often. 10/10

For: Updated often, quick, reliable and good interface. It was also very muti-platform, installing on MAC-OSX

Against: Never shown us a problem, but the interface could be tricky for first timers.

Thank you all for your comments. click here for virus alerts.

Gaz 25 13:45 16 Nov 2003

I have had a headache with a HDD problem. Its an IBM DEATHSTAR!!!!

leo49 13:47 16 Nov 2003

Use the force, Luke!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017