Antivirus renewal

brybob 11:09 30 Oct 2009

Hi Guys. l bought Norton anti virus with my new laptop and am only a few days away from its 1st yearly renewal, but at £39.99 l would like a cheaper one, l was looking at the write up on the site of shield deluxe 2010 but lt don't mention anything about it including a firewall ? do l have find a new one,
if l do download the shield deluxe do l have uninstall the nNortonfirst or what is the best way to let shield take over.
Thanks guys.

oldbeefer2 13:02 30 Oct 2009

regularly recommended here are Avast! or AVG - both free to download. You'll need to get rid of Norton first using their own removal tool click here

oldbeefer2 13:03 30 Oct 2009

If you want a firewall as well, Zone Alarm - again free - fits the bill click here

oldbeefer2 13:05 30 Oct 2009

Another option is Windows Security Essentials click here which is antivirus and anti malware. The main benefit is it runs in the background and is very simple to use.

birdface 14:41 30 Oct 2009

Not sure if this is what you are looking for.Norton Internet security.

click here

lofty29 20:01 31 Oct 2009

If you go for the freebies, which are good, I use them, you will also need antisypware, spybot s&d, and spywareblaster (free) are good.

brybob 13:30 01 Nov 2009

l think l will go with the shield deluxe it don't include a firewall but have checked the firewall l have and it seems its a windows one that it not with the Norton anti virus ?.

User-1229748 14:17 01 Nov 2009

i don't know about the shield deluxe program but if you have been recieving popups telling you to download it then don't follow any links from popups.

User-1229748 14:20 01 Nov 2009

in fact a quick search of the forums for "the shield deluxe" and it seems to be a rogue :o(

brybob 21:03 01 Nov 2009

l just googled it again [shield deluxe 2010]and a loads of links come up about it ?????

iscanut 21:12 01 Nov 2009

I still think you are better off using the freebies mentioned...Avast, AVG, Zone Alarm etc..Shields is only free for 30 days and then $30. It is also one that probably most of us have never come across so its up to you. I would not recommend you use the Windows Firewall. On the shields deluxe page, you will see the free ones mentioned above for download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?