Antivirus conflicts ?

ruskle 09:44 05 May 2006

I read on the forum that it is unwise to run 2 Antivirus programs on the same PC.
I have AVG, Windows Defender, and Ashampo Win Optimizer Platinum all running on mine and wonder is this OK.
I would also like some info on BitDefender included on last months cover disc. How long does the free trial last and how long is support, I don't want to get used to it and then find it is out of date. Will it be safe to run all 4 progams together.
I know it sounds like "belt and braces" but I have had a clean machine for years and don't want to risk any infections.

Ruskle.

woodchip 09:52 05 May 2006

Yes you should only use one AV but you can use several Malaware programs

johndrew 09:56 05 May 2006

I have Avg, Defender, AdAware, Spybot, A-squared and SpywareBlaster all running quite happily with Kerio firewall - probably overkill but I`m happy.

AVG is the one you should avoid conflicting with, so you shouldn`t install another antivirus program such as Antivir or Avast or any of the larger commercial offerings such as Norton.

Other than what is in the magazine on BitDefender I have no other information. You could try their website and see if that helps. But again be aware of the above; Bit Defender is antivirus.

ruskle 10:32 05 May 2006

Thanks for the info chaps, I inserted the disk containing BitDefender and it says it is a 6 months trial, but as you say it is antivirus I will leave it alone. Apart from that it seems am OK I also have the Windows Firewall.
The reason I am being cautious is the number of "dodgy" emails and Internet programs I read about and as I use the laptop for business I need to be sure.

Thanks again,
Ruskle

woodchip 11:08 05 May 2006

Windows Firewall. Bin it and download Free ZoneAlarm

click here

ruskle 12:54 05 May 2006

I thought that my post had been resolved but I have just had a second thought.
I use a Wi Fi Modem router set up both at home and my office. These are configured with my two Interent provider log in settings. My laptop doesn't have any setings on it apart from the connections to the Wi Fi.
Both Linksys Modems have WPA-PSK installed and the network name broadcast is disabled.
How does this affect the antivirus or malaware programs, what I mean is can the router have a virus. As I said before, I don't have a problem but want to be sure.
Ruskle

woodchip 15:10 05 May 2006

Routers don't get virus's

ruskle 16:30 05 May 2006

Many thanks woodchip.
Subject now put to bed.

Ruskle

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?