Antimalwarebytes v Avast

tristar 18:45 19 Jan 2009

Ran a full scan using antimalware a couple of days back, but found it froze after a while, and came up 'not responding' when checked. Tried a full scan with avast today, and after some time it too froze.
Could the two programs be incompatible - and do I need both?
PS. Both programs run the quick scans with no problems.

tristar

MAJ 18:50 19 Jan 2009

Both prgrams do different things. Mbam is an antmalware scanner, Avast is an antivirus scanner. I've never heard of them conflicting with each other before, but you could try uninstalling Mbam, see if Avast then scans with problems.

tristar 19:08 19 Jan 2009

Thanks, I'll try that.

tristar 10:21 20 Jan 2009

Made no difference, I'm afraid.

MAJ 10:31 20 Jan 2009

Do it the other way round then, tristar. If Mbam freezes without Avast installed, then it could be one particular file that they are both having problems reading. If Mbam scans without problems, without Avast, then try AVG 8 instead of Avast. click here

tristar 11:05 20 Jan 2009

Sounds like a plan, MAJ, thanks, I'll try that.

jolorna 11:16 20 Jan 2009

i have avast antivirus and also use mbam with no problems xp home sp3

MAJ 11:17 20 Jan 2009

As both scanners work okay doing a quick scan, my guess would be that there's a particular file causing the problem, tristar. Keep your eyes open to see where exactly the scans fall down.

[email protected] 11:50 20 Jan 2009

mine freezes for about 10 minutes, if i leave it it will start again, it's a known problem they are trying to fix in the next release, running click here will help them (you'll probably find it freezes scanning the same file, try leaving it see if it resumes.

[email protected] 11:51 20 Jan 2009

that link is not a fix by the way just an de bug probram to give developers some clues.

tristar 13:44 20 Jan 2009

Thank you, adman 2, that's an interesting link. At the moment I'm running (hopefully!) a full scan on newly installed AVG8.
I'll have a look at the debug thing later.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?