anti virus -v- internet security

angel25 20:11 29 Jun 2008

currently got mcafee anti virus but due to expire and am thinking of changing to Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0. (as far as I am aware I have no internet security installed however do have a windows firewall). Am confused between anti virus and internet security, do I need both or can I just buy either of them to adequately protect myself.

RobCharles1981 20:18 29 Jun 2008

Do a forum search stop wasting our time its been covered so many times this has.

RobCharles1981 20:20 29 Jun 2008
  [email protected] 22:22 29 Jun 2008

blimey rob! click here you can have kaspersky internet security or stand alone av. i personally dont like kaspersky, have never used mcafee.
internet security has anti phishing and it's own firewall, i dont think you need any more than a realtime av program, it scans all internet and system files anyway.
if you want extra sense of security get kis.

skidzy 22:30 29 Jun 2008

you have been given a link by rob that i wrote some while ago,its still a popular page and will secure most computers if done so correctly.

You will need to download your choice of programs but do NOT install yet.

You will need to get rid of the Mcafee package you currently have installed and perform a cleanup.

Mcafee removal click here

Once the removal procedure has finished,run ccleaner click here to finish cleaning the remanants of Mcafee.

Reboot the computer.

Now install your choice of Antivirus and Firewall and any other apps you may require.

FatboySlim71 22:43 29 Jun 2008

I highly recommend Avira anti virus, and its free too.

click here

Use the above with some good anti spyware software and you will be more than adequately covered.

On the subject of anti spyware software, I find that Spyware Doctor is very very good (although some people will disagree). The only thing I find is to not have its real time/resident protection running in the back ground as I have read that it can slow down the computer. I instead, do a scan every 1-2 days with it.

click here

sconedd 23:43 29 Jun 2008

Hi Angel25 I would highly recommend NOD32 Antivirus home edition from click here have a discount on at the moment. Excellent programme does not hog the machine, works happily in the background, you don't even know it is there. But take skidzy's advice first, or you will have problems.

Jak_1 03:17 30 Jun 2008

quote: Do a forum search stop wasting our time its been covered so many times this has. unquote

That was a bit harsh!

A bit more tolerance would not go amiss!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?