anti virus software help

dragonfury 09:56 01 Jun 2008

Hi,

I currently have avast anti-virus software and win defender on my system.

I did start with avg free and tried the avg 8 upgrade. Minor bits on my system happened so I went to uninstall and half way in to the un-installation an error message always comes up with failed. Why is this doing this? I now have avg on my system and I can not either re-install or un-install. Anyone know?

Besides the top programs above, anyone know if I need more programs such as an internet one or do I not need?

I also tried bitdefender and since it uses alot of system resources I got rid. However using avast I noticed that when there is a virus found the program alerts you whereas the other programs I have used (avg, bitdefender) seem to find the viruses during the scan and tells you affected at the end rather then one by one like avast. I find this quite annoying as you can not leave the computer scanning and come back to find it finished with 20 infected files - easy.

Which anti virus is next best and scans the lot with info at the end?

provider 2 10:35 01 Jun 2008
  palinka 12:13 01 Jun 2008

when I have problems uninstaling/deleting bitsa left over from an uninstall I use Start>search>all files & folders, and then type in AVG or whatever it is; and then repeat typing in grisoft, in the case of a problem with AVG.
I've switched to AVG 8 and prefer it to the previous versions. But several people I know had problems downloading it so I wrote the following to help them ( and include it here in case you decide to give it another go.)
· do not use the link in the advert;
· do not delete your present v. 7.5 - that will be done automatically when you have installed v.8.0;
· instead go to click here
· when that window opens scroll down and click on the "Get it Now" bar in the left hand half of the page;
· at the next window there is a list of AVG features and 3 columns with ticks. The Free version is the left-hand column (with few ticks!). Scroll to the bottom of the columns & at the bottom of the Free column click on the blue text saying "Continue to AVG Free download";
· at the next window click on the bar saying "continue to AVG Free Download" - it's at the bottom on the right-hand side. Ignore the text about Internet Security at the bottom of the left hand side;
· at the next window do NOT click the bar saying "Download AVG Free 8.0"; instead click on the blue text 2 lines lower down that says "Download AVG Free 8.0 (AVG Server);
· you're at the moment of download at last - I favour clicking "Save" rather than "Run" and I save it to the Desktop. This means the program will be put on your desktop and you then need to double click the icon to open/"Run" and install it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)