anti virus software

lazanda 18:51 09 Jul 2003

I am looking to get some antivirus software that stops my vaio getting battered to hell by the most annoying things ever created - Those grey boxes that seem to continiously appear on my screen even with my browser not open. I have windows XP pro with broadband (not sure if that makes a difference) and just want to get something standard, norton or something not too expensive.

Any suggestions ? I just been on PC world website and there are hundreds.

Thanks a lot (again)

paul.

Jester2K II 18:55 09 Jul 2003

Grey Boxes = Messenger Service???

click here

AVG - Grisoft AVG 6 Free for home use click here

Gaz 25 18:55 09 Jul 2003

Try the Free Avast32 from: click here

Or Free AVG from: click here

Or run a FREE great online scan from many leading companies:

click here

click here

click here

Fateful Shadow 19:05 09 Jul 2003

I wouldn't trust PC World as far as I could throw them...if I was getting an upgrade fitted or even buying a piece of software ;)

Dave Bowman 19:10 09 Jul 2003

Sounds like Messenger Service again.

"Shoot The Messenger" lives here:-

click here

woodchip 19:26 09 Jul 2003

Careful it could be viewed as slander

Gaz 25 19:36 09 Jul 2003

Yes, that is a point.

And keep up to date with virueses and security at click here

Regards,
Gareth

lazanda 20:43 09 Jul 2003

Those things that pop up these days with an 'ok' in the middle. They only started happening recently and now they're all over the place. 'Lose weight', or 'cindy from latvia wants to talk' or even now 'stop these messages' bloody cheek.

YOU get these too ? say its not just me !

I will try one of these guys, thanks a lot

Jester2K II 20:44 09 Jul 2003

Yeah thats the Messenger Service. As above.

lazanda 21:20 09 Jul 2003

ps. I am going for the AVG stuff too. You guys are gold. Cheers.

Paul.

hvs 16:47 17 Aug 2003

Thanks to the advice posted in helproom, which I read on a regular basis, instead of using my purchased anti-virus software, I downloaded and installed avast and have it updated automatically. I find it fantastic and I have also enabled the win xp firewall and blocked pop-ups: Click My computer/click manage/click services & applications .Select SERVICES. Click on Messenger , select properties, on General, select start up type, select disable click on apply, ok. I had these annoying pop ups all the time and now are rid of the nuisance. I cannot understand why so many people have not installed ani-virus software on their systems especailly when there are many excellent anti-virus programs available as free downloads!
H

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017