anti virus software

oxparks 18:38 19 Feb 2009

Hi Crossbow, we were in touch a few weeks back on theme which laptop to buy. I went for the Toshiba Satellite Pro U400 12Y which so far seems great! Thanks v much for all your advice. All I have to do now is ensure I go through Toshiba's bureaucratic cashback process to get my £75 back..not a big prob.

I am now looking at security. This machine comes with Macafee 30 days trial free. I don't particularly want to pay(no surprise there)but want reasonable protection from viruses, hackers et al. I am not keeping world secrets or business accounts on the machine but will use for online banking types of functions. What do you advise?

thanks!

johnnyrocker 19:59 19 Feb 2009

i would suggest having a read of this link
click here

johnny.

FreMar 10:08 20 Feb 2009

The free version of AVG antivirus is very good, and can be set for automatic daily updates. Be sure to disable Windows antivirus and McCaffee if you use this. Don’t have 2 antivirus programmes running at once or they will conflict with each other. Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, and Spybot malicious spyware removal are all free to download and update, and are all good. Have at least two of these on your desktop, as each one may not catch everything.

birdface 10:21 20 Feb 2009

Just about the top 3 are.AVG.Avast.or Avira.All free.

birdface 10:26 20 Feb 2009

As you will also need Anti-Spyware.You want.Spywareblaster.And any 2 out of 3 of those.A Squared.Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.On second thought Malwarebytes with any one of the other two.Make sure you get the free version of Malwarebytes.

skidzy 21:52 20 Feb 2009
  DieSse 22:41 20 Feb 2009

Avast is probably the best of the freebies. AVG free has too many things missing from the free version. I rate Avira as second best.

At least two general anti-spyware packages - I would put Spybot S&D on the list to choose from.

Personally I pay for the eset security suite (uses NOD32 anti-virus). Anti-spyware programs rarely find anything at all on my eset protected system.

el jimbo2 23:12 20 Feb 2009

I downloaded what I thought was the free version.

After running it, (and it finding 3000 problems on my machine) it demanded payment.

I guess I got the wrong version.

I have used avg and spybot for ages.

Also sygate firewall.

rdave13 23:21 20 Feb 2009

This is the link for Malwarebytes; click here . You definately got the wrong Malwarebytes by the sound of it. The version is free if you don't want 'real time scanning' and you will need to update manually. It will delete any malware it finds on the free version.

yorkieman 00:43 21 Feb 2009

i have used just about every antivirus software out there and the one that stands out is eset nod32 it can update 3 or more times a day but just my opinion

rdave13 00:55 21 Feb 2009

That's a good recommendation. For me ,though, Avast is an excellent antivirus program, free for home users, and is always improving without major, or if any, problems. Being able to scan for trojans or viruses before windows loads is a major plus, also it works well with Link Scanner Lite and will terminate connection to a site which hosts, unwittingly or not, to such crap as antivirus 360 or 2009 etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires