Anti Virus Slow Running

TonyW2 19:37 04 Jul 2009

All was well using Windows XP(SP3)and Internet Explorer with Free AVG 7.5. (Plus ZA, Ad Aware & ASquared.)

I changed to AVG 8.5 and nearly everything slowed down or froze.
(I tried uninstallation of AVG and installed Avast with similar result)

I disabled AVG but on opening Internet Explorer or trying to "send/receive" in Outlook Express, I sufferred a considerable wait before a warning came up to say AVG was switched off.

Thereafter the PC would run OK until next time it was booted up.

I uninstalled AVG (Using Revo)and running without any AV prog, but theproblem remains, in that I have to wait until Windows announces that no AntiViral programme can be found. I conclude that it is some part of Windows that is causing the delay and therefore it was not just a problem on AVG.
Any ideas or suggestions, please?

User-1229748 20:12 04 Jul 2009

you could go to services and turn off security center just to see if that is the cause or part of the cause.

User-1229748 20:17 04 Jul 2009

you could also go to msconfig and see if there is anything in the start up that may be the problem.do you use ccleaner as that may be worth trying aswellclick here

TonyW2 20:55 04 Jul 2009

Tx
Turning off security centre had no effect (except the warning bubble did not pop-up).
I use C Cleaner.
(I have already reduced start-up to ZLclient,Rundll32,ctfmon,MicrosoftOffice)

User-1229748 22:45 04 Jul 2009

when you start your pc open task manager and see if any of the processes are using up all your resourses

TonyW2 20:41 05 Jul 2009

Have tried that but cannot see any programme hogging CPU, indeed CPU usage is always below 4% during the "waiting" period.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?