Anti-virus scan

Braniff 18:13 30 Aug 2007

I did one today using pc guard. When I read the detailed report it said the following:
Anti-virus found 1 suspicious Master Boot Record/Boot Sector. Anti-virus unable to fix.
Virus definition file: avsdk-20072410.msp.

What is it and what should I do?

Dirty Dick 18:31 30 Aug 2007

I bet they tried to sell you a solution. Get a copy of AVG Free, I've had a copy for years, and its great.

Totally-braindead 18:51 30 Aug 2007

pc guard? Is that one of the programs that offers to fix problems that you don't know you have for a price. If it is then avoid it like the plague as its probably a false result to make you buy their software.
What anti virus do you have, is it running and fully up to date? If so and it finds nothing then it may well be a con.
It really depends which pc guard you refer to as I found a couple. I would personally trust my antivirus program before I would trust one which charges you to fix it - if this does this of course.

Braniff 19:04 30 Aug 2007

I pay monthly for Pcguard to my internet provider Virgin media used to be Telewest. I have tv, pc and phone through them so I don't think it is a con, the pcguard is updated regularly. I just want to know what the virus is.

mfletch 19:04 30 Aug 2007

Hi down load SAS Superantispyware and use that to see if it picks up anything???

If it does not I would get rid of pc guard

SAS is free and comes highly recommended,

click here

Check for any updates before you use it.

mfletch.

VoG II 19:09 30 Aug 2007

You could also try one or more on-line scans and see what they find:

Panda ActiveScan
click here

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

Totally-braindead 19:11 30 Aug 2007

Wait a minute now I personally don't know this pcguard program and superantispyware is not an anti virus program, it is a malware program and very good it is too but I would not recommend getting rid of something else just because it gives a false (perhaps) reading.
I did do a search and found some info on the avsdk file but am unsure as to what it is. It could easily be part of some other program.

Does your anti virus program find anything?

mfletch 19:24 30 Aug 2007

Hi this is from Bleeping computer and they say it is not a Virus scanner.

While you use anti-virus software to protect your computer against known viruses, trojans, and worms, you most likely do not use a piece of software to protect your computer against Spyware and Hijackers. That is where SpywareGuard comes in to play. SpywareGuard is a Freeware program by Javacool Software that will run alongside your traditional virus scan, but instead of alerting you when you are about to run a program infected with a virus, it instead tells you when you are about to run a Spyware/Hijacker. Though products like these are not mainstream like anti-virus software, these products are becoming essential for keeping your computer secure and clean from harmful software.

I probably jumped the gun a little but I would still run SAS and if you are paying for this pc guard I would stop as it is FREE,

mfletch

mfletch 19:26 30 Aug 2007

Sorry wrong program? pc guard/ spywareguard.

I must need another drink?

mfletch

VoG II 19:28 30 Aug 2007

This is PC Guard click here although you may not be able to view the page if you are not a Virgin customer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?