ANTI VIRUS - MULTIPLE PROGRAMS

Lemur 12:07 31 May 2008

I have just been told by AVG that I must replace their free 7.5 anti virus program by the end of May 2008. I was persuaded by their on line literature to upgrade to their paid for 8.0 version. In the process of installing this new version, I was told that I already had anti virus installed and that I should uninstall it. So I uninstalled the 7.5 free version and rebooted. At the next attempt to install 8.0, I was told that I still had another program installed so, eventually found that I had a Windows Security Centre AV., installed.

Is this sufficient for my needs and, if so, am I and probably millions of other people paying other companies for AV., protection unnecessarily?

If not, how do I disable the WSC AV?

Many thanks.

hiwatt 12:37 31 May 2008

You didn't have to pay atall.Avg are upgrading from the free 7.5 version to a free version of avg 8.The updates for 7.5 are continuing untill the end of the year even though it's still saying may.Windows it'self doesn't have an anti virus.So you must have some other program installed.Did your computer come installed with norton or something similar?

Lemur 13:39 31 May 2008

Thanks hiwatt. I was happy to pay for the type of protection AVG were offering and without the daily lengthy computer slowing update procedure that seems to come with the free versions. I am a bit miffed about the the May/December apparently misleading detail you raise! This is all so confusing and maybe expensive for the non-expert but I do recognise that they do deserve to get paid for good service.

With regard to Windows and AV., I have a Windows Security Centre screen page which shows that I have Firewall, Automatic Updates and Virus Protection - all set to ON.

I used to have Norton but uninstalled all that when I was introduced to AVG! When I then installed the free 7.5 version, "another virus program" was not an issue.

By the way my operating system is XP.

Lemur 15:51 31 May 2008

Buried in the Windows sub-program is the explanation of VIRUS PROTECTION ~ ON - "Virus protection software: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. Windows checks to see if your computer is using a full, up-to-date anti virus program."

I think that answers my main question.

Thanks for looking.

hiwatt 21:07 31 May 2008

Yeah windows is just telling you that you have your antivirus(avg)running as it should be.Glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?