Anti Virus ~ How often should I run a Scan?

wee eddie 12:25 21 Nov 2009

I am happy with the Anti Virus that I currently run which the latest version of AVG(9), it is set to update it's Virus Signatures and run a Full System Scan, every day.

Is this really appropriate?

Would a "Weekly" Scan be OK?

Pamy 12:29 21 Nov 2009

If you can do a daily scan then thats what I would do

johndrew 12:34 21 Nov 2009

A lot depends on what you do with your browsing. If you only go to `safe` sites (see click here it`s free) then less often is probably good enough. I usualy scan around once a week.

mooly 12:35 21 Nov 2009

Does AVG work in real time ? or is it just an "on demand" application.

If it runs in real time scanning all files, internet pages etc as you use your PC then a daily scan should not be required.

mfletch 13:16 21 Nov 2009

AVG scans in real-time so everything is being scanned as you use it eg/ downloads/opening emais/ etc

But I would recommend you use MBAM {free version} to do a manual scan every week after updating it,

The two AVG for real time protection and MBAM for on demand scanning ghoul be plenty.

MBAM/ Malwarebytes/ Antimalware click here

sunnystaines 13:58 21 Nov 2009

are you not able to set it to run when the pc is idle, that way you get a scan each day and it does not slow the pc during the scan

wee eddie 14:39 21 Nov 2009

for longer than it takes to run the scan.

My C Drive stores roughly 112GB of info, in about 190,000 Files. The full Scan takes, just over, 2 hours.

If I scanned less frequently, the PC would be turned on for less time.

p.s. I also have, and run bi-weekly, CCleaner, Malwearbytes and Spybot (including Teatimer - which actually does a good job even though many find it intrusive), with monthly Defrags.

Clapton is God 15:59 21 Nov 2009

I think the issue here is how often you've set AVG to update its AV signatures.

You say yours is set to daily.

I have Avast and it's set to every 4 hours. I always get an update at that frequency and sometimes in between as well.

birdface 16:29 21 Nov 2009

You can set it to run a scan and power down the computer when it is finished.

wee eddie 04:11 22 Nov 2009

AVG9 Free.

As far as I can find, I only have the option to set Signature Updates for once a day and I can find no way of automatically turning off the PC after the Scan has finished.

Maybe I should move to Avast.

birdface 09:33 22 Nov 2009

Go to scan my computer.Scan whole computer.
underneath click on change scan settings.
Additional scan settings.
Tick shut down computer on scan completion.
Then start the scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?