Anti Virus -Cannot find virus pattern file/Currupt

Flaterik 17:04 30 Aug 2003

Hi, After lots of problems with XP i have a clean copy of Win 98se on my comp, but if left turned off over night for example, it boots up with a message saying Pc-cillin cannot find virus pattern file! but if I then start pc-cillin it seems to work? It also freezes alot on tasks like right clicking on files?
I had a problem with AVG 6 on Win XP saying AVG is Corrupt as well as it booting to the blue screen of death and saying Windows/system/config is Corrupt! But if it didnt load to them it would get to the Welcome screen then reboot! over and over again.... any help on either Problem as i prefer Win XP

xania 18:46 30 Aug 2003

I'm a little confused that you had one AV package on XP and another, apparently, on 98SE. Do you have both installed? If so, uninstall them both, u=using the suplpied uninstall or, better still , add/remove programs, then check and make sure ALL related folders are deleted, and then install ONE of them. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER install more than one AV product - they always cause clashes.

Flaterik 19:07 30 Aug 2003

No no no, My copy of pc-cillin 7.5 (freeby from my bank) didnt work on xp so i had to use avg6. Both had up to date pattern files, so on Xp i had AVG 6 and on Win 98se I used Pc-cillin, But if say a virus is attacking the anti virus program by making it corrupt or deleting the pattern file, Would that virus be able to survive a reformat even Fdisk? to make it from one operating system to another? Did that make sence? this is hurting my head! :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?