Anti Virus and Anti Walware

roxie555 10:06 09 May 2015

At 65 I have only the most basic understanding of anti virus and anti malware computer security. With Windows 8.1 I have Windows Defender built in but a number of on-line articles seem to suggest it is not very good as an anti virus product. Malwarebytes claim that their anti malware software, whilst essentially a removal programme, will pick up on viruses missed by existing anti virus security. Please could you advise me that if I buy an anti malware product will this be enough with my existing security or should I disable Windows Defender and purchase another anti virus programme? Many thanks.

rdave13 10:49 09 May 2015

I would use the free version of Avast as an anti virus. No need to disable Defender as it will be done automatically. download site. Scroll down to select the free version download link. Remember to untick the offered Google toolbar etc. when downloading. You will need to register with your email.

For antimalware try the free version of Malwarebytes antimalware, the free download link is on the right, click here.

Later on you could search for a one-off payment licence for it for the premium version.

As a blocker I would suggest the free version of Spywareblaster. click here , the free version you will need to update manually once in a while.

roxie555 11:02 09 May 2015

Very much appreciate your comments. Some one has suggested AVG anti virus free version plus Malwarebytes premium

rdave13 11:10 09 May 2015

I've tried AVG and other free antivirus but my preference is Avast. AVG is also highly rated so its a matter of choice.

Ian in Northampton 11:20 09 May 2015

Like rdave13, I moved from AVG free to Avast free.

roxie555 11:37 09 May 2015

Thank you to all responders

martd7 12:42 09 May 2015

I use AVG free and malwarebytes premium they work together fine

roxie555 13:38 09 May 2015

Thank you Mart7. Forgive my ignorance but do free anti virus offers include automatic updates or do you have to re-install them periodically?

martd7 14:49 09 May 2015

Avg updates automatically as I'm sure others do as well

roxie555 14:54 09 May 2015

Thank you Mart7. Appreciate your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?