anti static strap

Klappers 16:35 09 Dec 2005

I have an anti static wrist band but i'm not sure where i attach the crocodile clip to? Do i just put it anywhere metal inside my computer or should it go out side of it? And also, i take it you have to unplug everything before you attach it right? Thank you

Press Man 16:42 09 Dec 2005

Probably safest to un-plug everything and leave PC for half hour just to let things cool down and disipate any stored charge. Clip to metal frame of PC.

User-312386 16:43 09 Dec 2005

clip it to the metal part of the case

Yes unplug all plugs and any peripherals

Devil Fish 16:53 09 Dec 2005

forgive me here

but it sounds a bit daft to ground yourself on the obect you are trying to take static away from

octal 16:58 09 Dec 2005

Not daft at all, bonding yourself to the frame of the computer insures any residue static will be at the same potential. I will just add any static that has built up in your body should have been previously discharged by touching some earthed metalwork, like a radiator.

pompyx 17:01 09 Dec 2005

Switch off at the wall socket but leave the plug in, if you have a switch on the the tower you can turn that off as well.Then the earth wire, which should never be switched will still be grounding the computer. If you pull the power plug out there will be no path for the static to discharge to.

driving man 17:01 09 Dec 2005

octal i agree aslong as you touch metal of radiator not just its painted surface

octal 17:04 09 Dec 2005

No, no, no, never leave the plug in whilst working on any electrical equipment, its just plain dangerous and not needed for stactic.

pompyx 17:08 09 Dec 2005

Devifish is correct there is no point in discharging the static if the Computer is not earthed, allowing it to drain away. Relying on a radiator to earth you these days is very risky, because too many hot water systems use non-metallic fittins, and despite rumours to the contary water is not a particurily good conductor of electricity. Also you should not if possible install your computer near a radiator, they don't like heat

octal 17:09 09 Dec 2005

Anyway, its not electricity at all and its a misnomer to call it that, its a polarisation of electrons which re-polarise when they meet their opposite force so it doesn't actually flow like true electricity.

octal 17:11 09 Dec 2005

You can use a radiator provide it is metal. It doesn't matter if its earthed or not, the large capacitive effect of the metalwork is sufficient to de-polarise the electrons in the charged body.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?