Antec Power supply 'feels' hot and fan slow

i've no idea 19:08 16 Aug 2006

Hi

I've built a new pc with an antec case and power supply.
The power supply seems hot to the touch and smells a little (maybe cos it's new?) and when I launch PC Probe it's showing the power fan at running at 0 rpm or sometimes 14 rpm?

Its one of the new overture cases with a 450w power supply.

How do I know if the power supply is TOO hot?

I've left it running for a few days and also used sisoft sandra to burn in.

Should I be worried???

Belatucadrus 20:21 16 Aug 2006

If you're concerned, the best option is probably to deploy the mark one eyeball, open the case (PC not PSU) and confirm the fan's working.

woodchip 20:24 16 Aug 2006

You should be able to hear see if it's working if the fan is at the back top

i've no idea 21:02 16 Aug 2006

Guy's

The fan is actually at the front and intakes from the bottom of the case. Exhaust at the side so not easy to see if it's working. As I said according to PC probe it just spins now and again.

This is a new type of psu and the fan (apparently) does not work all the time just when needed and is ultra quiet.

How hot should the psu feel? I thought it would just be warm but it's actually quite hot to the touch!

I may take it out of the case and have a quick look but it's a bitch to get out by the look of it!

Totally-braindead 21:16 16 Aug 2006

I would wait and see if anyone else on the Forum has this particular power supply, I think this is the only way to get a proper answer. In the meantime have you considered emailing Antec and asking them? Some companies are absolutly useless at help/support for customers but some are rather good and an email wouldn't cost you anything.
Wish I could help but my PSU is a Tagan one and it only gets slightly warm.

i've no idea 21:18 16 Aug 2006

Thanks. Good point.

I'll drop them a line and see if I get anything back

i've no idea 21:12 01 Oct 2006

I sent this back and they agred it was faulty. Strange though. they didnt want to replace it just give monet back.

DieSse 22:27 01 Oct 2006

Does the power supply have a connector from the PSU to the motherboard for fan monitoring - likely to be a small one as generally used on processor fans?

If not - then the PSU fan is not being monitored and any readings you get are suspect.

josie mayhem 23:51 01 Oct 2006

Maybe not so strange, replacemnt/money back!

Due to how some companies work, they may not give a staight replacement, but due to account/stock handling...

Some companies require that when a faulty item is returned, they return the money to you and you repurchase the same item makes things tally up easier????

I had this run in with pcworld, returned a faulty item expecting it to be a straight replacement, but no the money had to be returned to the card account, and I had to repurchase the item! The problem that day the only card I had on me was my computering account, and guess what it didn't have enough money to repurchase the item that I had returned! I had to make a 30 mile return journey to get the card that did have the money in it to repurchase said item!!!!! I can assure you that I wasn't a happy buuney that day!!!

P.S

Ive actually have a debit aaccount that I save in, for all my computer stuff , and that is the one I use when I buy anything to do with my coputing... How sad is that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?