"another user using this program" ??

Rubyiat 21:17 20 Mar 2006

Having worked on a Word doc. from a USB memory stick was unable to eject stick as got message "unable to disconnect as another user is using this program". Did ctr/alt/del and Word not listed. Unable to shut down computer from Start due to same message.Physically removed USB and switched off.All fine on when rebooted.

Using Laptop o/S XP via BT1800hg wireless hub.(no one else on network).
How can I check if anyone had been within 100mts hacking into my poor little home wireless network?? realise this is unlikely.

woodchip 21:34 20 Mar 2006

Right click USB drive in System tray and remove

mammak 21:40 20 Mar 2006

Rubyiat Hi just a thought but 1. are you using XP
2. is someone else logged on to another account this can happen if you are using "switch user" in XP.

Rubyiat 22:13 20 Mar 2006

Right click on drive is what produced the message "another user etc".

Yes using XP2 and no other users logged in - hence wondering how I can check if anyone got in via wireless network.

wbiggchiefy 22:47 20 Mar 2006

are you connected to a file sharing prog and if so is your doc available to share or are you connected on another pc sharing this document by any chance and have forgotten to close it ?

Danoh 00:16 21 Mar 2006

Some anti-virus programs automatically scans new devices connected to the PC, including USB pen drives. Has happened to myself on occasions with USB pen and external hard drives, but if I waited only a bit longer, it was fine.

Rubyiat 22:32 21 Mar 2006

No not sharing any files anywhere else. Am running McAfee so "too hasty" may have been the problem - will do some experimenting!
Many thanks for replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires