Another question on a broadband network thingy

  Fateful Shadow 20:20 24 May 2005

If I use an ADSL router to conenct 2 computers to the Internet, will I need a crossover cable, whatever a crossover cable is?

Also, where would be the best place to get some Cat. 5e cable online?

Thanks :)

  mgmcc 23:54 24 May 2005

<<<will I need a crossover cable, whatever a crossover cable is?>>>

No, a crossover cable is used to connect two computers directly - "Network Adapter to Network Adapter". When connecting to a hub/switch/router, straight-wired CAT5 patch cables are used.

<<<the best place to get some Cat. 5e cable online?>>>

Unless you need a substantial length of cable, you would be as well going to a local computer shop and buying a couple of cables, thus saving the exhorbitant "post & packing" costs of online purchasing.

  Fateful Shadow 11:00 25 May 2005

Thanks mgmcc. Cleared up a few things for me now :)

  engsurv 12:18 25 May 2005

You should check that the router/hub you use does not have cable length limitations. If the cable length between hub/router and computer is too gtreat, you may have to go wireless.

  Fateful Shadow 14:06 25 May 2005

The computers are only a couple of metres away from where we intend to place the router. How long is too long?

  John-259217 15:19 25 May 2005

Maximum allowable cable length for 10/100 networks between hub and computer is normally quoted at 100 meters.

Unless your router manual states a limit you shouln`t have a problem.

  Fateful Shadow 18:38 25 May 2005

That means a 3 meter distance shouldn't be too much of a problem then! Thanks :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?