(Another) Networking Problem.

GORAL 20:51 24 Mar 2004

I am sure I must be just overtired (!). Two PCs both on XP Home and networked ok in the past, using Telewest Blueyonder.

Just put in a fresh install of XP on a HDD in my PC. The result is problems with my wife's PC.

However I have found that if I disable my (Symantec) Firewall, both PCs work ok on the network. I never had this problem before but could it simply be some setting or other in the firewall that needs a 'tweak' to correct this? Any help would be most appreciated.

woodt 20:54 24 Mar 2004

How are they networked? Via cable or wireless.

GORAL 21:33 24 Mar 2004

my network is cabled using a Netgear hub and patch cables to appropriate NIC cards (which as I said worked perfectly hitherto).

LeadingMNMs 21:37 24 Mar 2004

It is likely to be something to do with the firewall, perceiving the IP address (perhaps its changed) to be foreign and so blocking it. I don't use that firewall so can't suggest any options.

GORAL 12:21 25 Mar 2004

bump

Smiler 12:28 25 Mar 2004

I had a similar problem but I use Zone Alarm and I had to give the pci card a trusted zone setting in the main firewall so I would guess that you need to do a similar thing. As I said I use Zone Alarm so I cant tell you where you need to go in your firewall. But hopefully someone out there knows.

GORAL 19:33 25 Mar 2004

Any further advice available - please !

GORAL 19:33 25 Mar 2004

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?