Another modem question

Europa 22:25 13 Aug 2005

I always wondered if you could have a dial up account with an ADSL modem router (have broadband but still have a dial up account as a back-up)or do you need a separate 56K modem to have that back-up?

powerless 23:11 13 Aug 2005

A separate 56K modem is needed.

Europa 00:48 14 Aug 2005

That's good, as I ask for an internal 56K modem to be installed on my new computer, I have an account with madasafish (pay as you go) and I want to keep my madasafish.com email address (which is my main one), so I've done well to have done that. I will get broadband with my other ISP, Plusnet, apparently they are giving you the option of a pay as you go account as a back-up.

Forum Editor 02:10 14 Aug 2005

Many people install a 56K modem as a backup when they first switch to a broadband connection, but you rapidly learn that in fact the broadband service is so reliable you never need the back-up. I have used broadband since it first launched in this country, and in all that time I have never once needed to dial-up.

If you do decide to install a 56K modem do not leave it connected to the phone line when it's not being used - if by chance you are infected with a dialer you could find yourself facing a huge phone bill for premium-rate calls you knew nothing about.

Forum Editor 02:12 14 Aug 2005

You should still be able to access your madasafish mailbox via your broadband connection - you shouldn't need to dial in to do that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?