Another Internet connection issue

sheila.weston 12:54 16 Jun 2005

I have just cleaned my windows xp pc from what, I think, was W32:sassar virus. I used the Avast webcleaner, followed by the Avast virus-checker, as I could not get onto the UK Symantec website. Norton did not detect the virus, although it was updated only a few days before.

The computer seems to function normally except for the internet connection, which doesn't always connect. To disconnect I have to physically unplug the modem from the wall-socket.Nothing happens if i click on the icon in the task-bar. The network connections window shows a 1394 connection AND a 1394 connection 2. Could this be part of the Problem? I notice that, by 'right-clicking', one of these is enabled and the other disabled.

Any help gratefully received!

Sheila

TomJerry 13:08 16 Jun 2005

1394 is IEEE 1394 or Firewire. It is the faster connection port for IPod or digital video

if you have original windows CD, you can do a repair installtion

JoeC 13:14 16 Jun 2005

will help or not, but have a look here

click here

sheila.weston 13:21 16 Jun 2005

Many thanks, JoeC. This looks very promising. I'll work on it after lunch!
Sheila

sheila.weston 13:25 16 Jun 2005

Many thanks TomJerry.

No, I haven't the original windows CD - only the repair CD which came from Mesh and may be the same and do the trick. I'll check it out when I have solved the immediate problems - may come back to the forum later on this.

sheila.weston 13:25 16 Jun 2005

Many thanks TomJerry.

No, I haven't the original windows CD - only the repair CD which came from Mesh and may be the same and do the trick. I'll check it out when I have solved the immediate problems - may come back to the forum later on this.

sheila.weston 16:05 16 Jun 2005

Hurray! I tried click here,
as suggested by TomJerry and am now back on line with updated Norton files. Very many thanks - it has saved me £40, as I was on the verge of calling in the experts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?