Another crash

bald eagle1 17:15 30 Dec 2010

Just had another major crash on my Mesh pc. Running xp, I have put a parallel xp on and got over to my original version. The only weird thing is some websites ie Facebook only display some text and images, and Outlook Express displays no text at all, only a blank grey background where the white background should be. Help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 30 Dec 2010

Not sure why you have added a second system perhaps you should have done a repair install over the firsf.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

bald eagle1 18:17 30 Dec 2010

Ok will try again. The reason I couldn't repair over the top is it wouldn't do it - I'd press 'r' and it would just keep booting back around to the same place again. This happened last time. It had lost a windows file, at least this has allowed me to boot up.
I will try again following your menu above. It all works now except the IE problem. I also have no text in control panel or submenus like restore. Also the shut down, restart buttons have no text.
Cheers for now!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:06 30 Dec 2010

Assuming you can get into first version -

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Once this version is working properly than we'll see about deleting the second copy.

bald eagle1 21:34 30 Dec 2010

Just running now thanks (how do you know these things?). I've managed to delete the second copy, the only pain being it is still top in the boot up menu - but thats a problem for another day.

bald eagle1 22:07 30 Dec 2010

Mr Fruit Bat /\0/\ you are a star. Not sure where you live but a few beers on me next time I'm passing. I will approach removing the other windows from the boot menu another day - I'm knackered now.
Happy New Year

woodchip 22:20 30 Dec 2010

When you start with the XP CD you should choose setup, then let windows look for Operating System, click on what it finds then press R

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:15 30 Dec 2010

Start - run - type
msconfig
press enter

Boot.ini tab - click on check all boot paths.

That should then have gotten rid of the boot up menu next time you start up.

bald eagle1 17:51 31 Dec 2010

Nice one again thanks, all working sweet (until the next time).

Cheers for now

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 31 Dec 2010

Glad its sorted, don't forget to tick "resolved"

woodchip 18:02 31 Dec 2010

what fixed it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?