Another CCleaner query!

guesswho2 20:10 26 Oct 2007

I have been using CCleaner since reading in the Forum that it comes highly recommended and I am happy to accept that it is a safe and useful tool. But would someone explain about the registry backup. If something nasty does occur when the registry cleaner is run:(i) how would it manifest itself and (ii) how would I recover the situation with the registry backup in CCleaner?

MAJ 20:17 26 Oct 2007

(i) depends on what has been cleaned.
(ii) double-click the backup reg file to merge it back to the registry. The backup file will be saved as something similar to "cc_20070606_0943.reg".

TopCat® 20:22 26 Oct 2007

but if things did go wrong then starting in Safe mode and double clicking the latest one in the folder gives the option to restore it back to the registry. TC.

rdave13 20:34 26 Oct 2007

Ccleaner registry backup default to 'my documents'.

guesswho2 20:48 26 Oct 2007

OK thanks MAJ - yes I recognise the file format for the saved registry config. So from what you say, I would simply double-click on this file and this would automatically return the registry to its original configuration?
Thanks TopCat, I guess you're confirming that.
Thanks rdave13.

rdave13 20:59 26 Oct 2007

I've been using Ccleaner for some time now and it's one of the best free utility programs you can have. The idea of saving the reg backup to 'my documents' is that if ever you need to use system restore then the backup will still be there if sys. restore is successful..

guesswho2 21:51 26 Oct 2007

Thanks rdave13. I'm sure you're right about CCleaner. I just wanted to be prepared in case something went wrong and I didn't know what to do with the backup file!
Many thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?