Another Boring Wireless Routing Thread

pifko 19:46 08 Jul 2006

I have a problem, one which I didn't have a couple of weeks ago. Every time my laptop goes into standby, or I leave it for 30+ mins (approx) and return, it is unable to pick up any connection to the internet. It has a "Very Good" 54Mbps connection to my router and my Desktop is fine, so I can throw out the idea that it's a problem with the router/cables etc.

I have to restart the laptop just to recieve a connection...Stupid.

Is there some stupid Windows action which disconnects you from the internet after a while away from the computer? I even disabled my firewalls in the off chance it was them. Nope. I've tried disconnecting from the network and then reconnecting, all to no avail.

The only thing I have done recently is add a 1GB stick of RAM to the thing. Surely that can't have an effect eh?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys!

mgmcc 20:45 08 Jul 2006

The laptop is probably losing its IP address due to interference or because you've put it into Standby. Often when this happens, the router is unaware that the IP address has been lost and it doesn't renew it. You should be able to recover without having to reboot by going into the Network Connections folder, right clicking the Wireless Network Connection and selecting Repair. This will force a renewal of the IP address.

You might be able to improve the situation by (a) changing the Channel number you use with your wireless network and (b) allocating a fixed IP address to your Wireless Network Connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?