Another bogus email?

Nosmas 13:01 02 Oct 2003

I found the following email displayed when I opened MailWasher this morning. (I have substituted xxx where my email name appears.)

Return-path: [email protected]>
Received: from SAMS.SAMS (unverified [217.160.216.145]) by freenet.co.uk
(Rockliffe SMTPRA 5.3.4) with ESMTP id [email protected]> for [email protected]>;
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:03:34 +0100
Received: from mail pickup service by SAMS.SAMS with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:03:38 +0100
thread-index: AcOIzHL3fV76e+eNShu7SEjnenTU5A==
Thread-Topic: Formal Apology
To: "User" [email protected]>
Subject: Formal Apology
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:03:38 +0100
Message-ID: [email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
Importance: normal
Priority: normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 02 Oct 2003 10:03:38.0612 (UTC) FILETIME=[73545B40:01C388CC]

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Apology from AGander

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience the email you received from one of our affiliate companies IMB may have caused you.
We do not condone their actions nor do we support them and steps have been taken to ensure our policies are enforced.
To compensate we have given you free registration and credited your account.
If you do not wish to continue this account it will be automatically deleted in 30 days.
However if you wish to recieve payment just log on to your account with the account details below.
Remember if you continue the account you will start earning more money and see dicounts and offers from ONLY companies and products you have registered.

Once again our apologies for this inconvenience and intrusion

Kind Regards
The AGander Team

User Email [email protected]
Password NMSDlM8l

Click click here
Then click on User Login

I have no recollection of receiving anything from IMB nor of having visited any site like AGander. Is this a ploy used by hackers or spammers to lure one to a site that might pass a virus to one's system, or alternatively tempt one to give personal information?

Needless to say, I have deleted the email on my ISP's server, but others on this forum may like to take note in case something similar comes their way. Also note the spelling errors 'recieve' and 'dicounts'

LMcG 13:47 02 Oct 2003

I have received similar and dealt with them the same way as you, ie bin them. You read in newspapers, hear on TV etc about scams to get info from you, remember Barclays recently? I wouldn't mind meeting some of these rip off merchants, con men *&%$£"! or whatever they are called in a dark alley one night!!

BarryKeith 13:57 02 Oct 2003

Why bother with a dark alley, or night, anytime would do if there are lots of people around to hear you showing them up for the fraudsters they are!

Stuartli 14:36 02 Oct 2003

There are a number of such scams circulating at the moment - in fact the local Trading Standards has issued a warning about the obvious risks of passing any financial information/passwords/accounts details over the Net.

The Halifax (HBOS) website now carries direct links to news stories about recent attempts to fool people into revealing their account details etc such is the level of such scams.

PA28 14:40 02 Oct 2003

There's also an awful lot of emails around with "Security Update Notification" and other official looking titles which shout OPEN ME NOW. Don't - unless you've a calm hand and a good virus scanner ready to jump in. And shut the preview window option as well!

Andsome 14:41 02 Oct 2003

The moral is, never divulge anything to anyone who asks for info, only to websites that you have visited deliberately, and wish to sign up for something.

Alan Ryan 14:42 02 Oct 2003

I only seem to get dodgy e-mails from low-level scamsters who wish me to assist them in such obvious frauds that it's almost impossible to imagine anyone being taken in by them.

Alan Ryan 15:04 02 Oct 2003

Further to my last comment: A foreign gentleman offered (by e-mail) to pay me a generous fee if I would assist him in transferring his funds from a certain country in desperate turmoil. All I had to do was give him details of my bank account, passwords, etc., and he would perform the task to my entire satisfaction !!!!

-pops- 15:18 02 Oct 2003

The problem is that many people have been, are and will be taken in by these obvious (to us) frauds.

I know someone who was. He was someone who should have known better, being an accountant and a company director. He is out of prison now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?