Another Back-Up question

JYPX 12:41 29 Jun 2004

Having read the earlier post from mikejd1972, I have a slightly different question. My c partition is always under 4gb in size so I like the idea of backing up/restoring to/from a single dvd (rw). Which software would best handle that? I like the look of Acronis True Image but there seems to be a 2gb limit on 1 dvd?

Peter 13:03 29 Jun 2004

Is that 4 Gig of data, or a 4 Gig partition? Either way compression software used when making an image, i.e. Norton Ghost, will considerably reduce the image file size. Alternatively Ghost allows you to split the image file into chunks so that it can fit onto, say, CD-Rs. You should be able to choose the size of the chunks. If necessary build the image onto another hard drive and then copy it to the DVD or CD-Rs.

Peter.

JYPX 13:15 29 Jun 2004

Thanks Peter. It's 4 gig of Data in a 20 gig partition. I had not considered Ghost but will do now...

stylehurst 14:23 29 Jun 2004

Acronis allows you to specify the size of backup files so you can split across multiple CDs if you so wish.
Having tried both Ghost & Acronis, I prefer the latter as it has the additional facility to make incremental backups. This facility is not available in Ghost.
One final point check on the Symantec site to ascertain whether your hardware is recognised by Ghost. This program is picky in its choice of hardware to work with.

Peter 15:16 29 Jun 2004

You could also consider Drive Image. stylehurst is right about Norton Ghost being picky about the hardware it will work with. I think Drive Image comes from Symantec now, it used to be from PowerQuest, so you could check if that programme is picky at the same time.

I didn't know that Acronis allowed incremental backups, which could be quite a usefull feature. I seem to remember that an old version of Acronis was given away free on a cover CD recently.

Peter.

JYPX 15:34 29 Jun 2004

Ok. Will check out all of these programmes. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?