Annoying Windows Update

hawthorn59 18:16 12 May 2007

Hi folks.

Due to wireless card failing in new Laptop i reformatted it in the hope that it would help, but no. Anyway, Im now downloading various windows updates. Theres 1 I dont want; "Windows Genuine advantage notification" so i de select it. Then get the message that it will not be offered again (great!) but immediately it appears again, time after time. how can i get rid of it?

Also problem 2, this time after my re-installation, the @ key and the " key are reversed, if you know what I mean. I came across this before, and I know it's something simple, perhaps in language or keyboard selection? Can anyone give me the solution?

Thanks
h

ArrGee 18:19 12 May 2007

The solution for the keyboard is straight forward. Control Panel, Regional Settings, English UK instead of US.

The WGA is a pin in the back-side, and in the same boat as you.

birdface 19:48 12 May 2007

If you have Microsoft up-dating automatically,Delete it and run it manually,See if that works. click here

malgall 20:07 12 May 2007

WGA is a piece of kit that verifys your windows in
not a pirate copy

if you do not have a pirate copy what is the problem

ArrGee 21:19 12 May 2007

The problem is that WGA is intrusive and doesn't work with some downloads on certain systems.

My XP Pro is genuine, yet I have problems downloading .Net framework 3.0.

hawthorn59 00:49 13 May 2007

I've changed the language to UK but its still the same. Maybe I have to restart so I'll try again.

Of course I dont have a pirate copy of windows. I just felt I didnt need some programme to tell me what i already know.

I'll try the other solutions later and if they don't work I'll just install it.

thanks!

h

baldtaco 04:46 13 May 2007

I commented on how not to get caught up in the WGA slimeware here - click here

birdface 09:16 13 May 2007

Control Panel,Regional and language,English Uk should be in the two dropdown bars,Apply Ok Then Languages , Details, English United Kingdom should be in the dropdown bar,And in the Square it should be English keyboard United Kingdom,And if it also has English United States you have to delete that one,Apply Ok,You sometimes have to reboot computer for it to take affect.

Stuartli 11:19 13 May 2007

Use RemoveWGA:

click here

hawthorn59 12:11 13 May 2007

Got the keyboard issue resolved, thanks folks!

On to WGA now...!

h

badhair1963 12:33 13 May 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?