Annoying emails

chochi 12:45 18 Aug 2007

I have had the Internet for over 6 years now and never had any bother with "Spam" until about 2 weeks ago. I am now getting 3 or 4 a day, mostly saying a "friend", "neighbour" etc has sent an ecard. I use OE and have added the names to blocked senders list, but is there any way I can stop them altogether. I am using BT and I use a firewall, Anti Virus and Spyware to keep a check on my computer. I think this is more annoying than dangerous to my computer, but I would just like to be rid of it.

SANTOS7 12:51 18 Aug 2007

click here

try this...

birdface 13:12 18 Aug 2007

Probably something you downloaded about 2 weeks ago and you had to enter your e-mail address,I had the same problem when I downloaded a free Back up program Arconis 7 free version.Had nothing but a load of spam after I downloaded it.,I then Downloaded E-Prompter and I can now open and delete e-mails before they get into my E-Mail box.click here I believe that you can use up to 16 different e-mail addresses with it. I found out the hard way,Have at least 2 e-mail addresses.One for the use of family and friends only.And the other for when you have to part with your e-mail address.With Hotmail set to high e-mail security you only get family and friends or secure businesses that you have saved.

€dstowe 13:16 18 Aug 2007

Be very careful with those ecard mailings. It is said they contain some kind of worm.

martjc 13:17 18 Aug 2007

...but just ignored it and deleted the messages - after a few weeks it stopped and hasn't happened since.

chochi 13:32 18 Aug 2007

€dstowe
If they did contain a worm, would it only be "active" if the email attachment or link was opened. How would I get rid of a worm?

Stuartli 13:48 18 Aug 2007

If you use Outlook Express and don't have the Preview Pane Disabled (preferably permanently), then one click on a suspect e-mail could/can set the nasties in action.

With the Preview Pane Disabled you can highlight an e-mail and Delete it using the Toolbar's Delete button.

The e-mail header and message can also be read if required by again highlighting and right clicking.

If doubtful, keep Cancelling and then use the Delete button

Procrastinus 17:44 18 Aug 2007

I can thoroughly recommend Mailwasher, and endorse buteman's comment about using multiple addresses. We recently sold our house and I used a special address just for that purpose. Now the house has been sold, the address has been deleted taking all the spam with it!

chochi 23:50 19 Aug 2007

I downloaded Mailwasher last night.The set up was very quick and I find it is very easy to use.Thanks for all the advice.

€dstowe 06:36 20 Aug 2007

Regarding the worm in ecards, yes, it does require opening and clicking on a link, I believe.

Not having opened one, I can't say for certain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?