Annoying Adobe Photoshop Elements 4

kumo22 19:03 05 Aug 2007

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 installed on my PC. It wants to act as the default everytime I upload a photo or open a graphics file.

How do I prevent or disable this?

Thanks
Mike

holme 20:18 05 Aug 2007

Open a directory containing graphic files(s).
Right-click over any one.
Select Open With --> sub-menu
Select your choice of graphic file viewer (if listed).
If not, select Choose Program...
Select your choice (use Browse if needed).
Click OK.

Thereafter, all graphics should load into that programme. HTH.

holme 20:25 05 Aug 2007

PS...

Sorry, forgot to say that, if you want all graphics to load into your choice of viewer, by default, you need to go through the 'Choose program...' routine listed above, and TICK the 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' box.

kumo22 11:40 06 Aug 2007

Thanks.

I probably need to be more specific. The problem is not when I have pictures or graphics already saved, the problem is when I am uploading pictures or opening a file for the first time.

As an illustration. I was sent a letter which had been saved as a tif and attached to an email. When I opened the document photoshop acted as the default program when in reality I am happy to have it opened in Windows Pictures and Fax Viewer.

Is there a way to disable the "default" setting on Photoshop Elements 4.

holme 13:13 06 Aug 2007

As the wording suggests, the 'Always use the selected programme to open this kind of file' box in the Choose Program window needs to be ticked for each (different) kind of file.

So if you've already done it for - say - JPEGs, and then receive a NEW file type such as a TIF, simply repeat the process. Then in future, ALL TIFs will load into your selected program.

This may seem a tad unwieldy but it has the advantage of being able to auto-load different types of (e.g.) bitmaps (JPEG, TIF, GIF, BMP, etc) into different programmes, should you wish to do so.

But if you don't, simply choose the same programme for each kind of file, e.g. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. HTH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?