Android Tablet Pc

amyjen7 12:06 09 Nov 2010

Hi my grandson having limited cash resources as asked me to buy him an Android Tablet PC. Has anyone any advise for me or purchased one as I would love to hear from you. Kind regards Keith

Ian in Northampton 13:07 09 Nov 2010

Keith: well, I bought one off eBay. It’s called an ‘ePad’ or ‘aPad’ – basically, it’s an unbranded tablet, although it seems to be widely available. It’s a 10.2” screen and cost me £160 including postage. Impressions?

Well, build quality seems slightly on the flimsy side, although I’ve had no problems in the couple of weeks I’ve owned it.

Google says that Android really isn’t ready for tablet devices yet, and it shows. The ‘operating system’ for the ePad is kind of a kludged up version of a phone operating system. That makes it sound much worse than it is: it’s really not too bad. It can be clunky and slightly erratic, but it’s fine.

It ain’t no iPad, though, in terms of slickness and usability (or build quality). But then, it’s not at an iPad price either.

It accesses the web pretty well via WiFi and also has an adaptor for an Ethernet cable. It’s an OK ebook reader (probably not up to the standard of the Kindle) and is generally fun to play with. Music volume isn’t great, photos look OK (but not as sharp/vibrant as on the iPad).

Things to look out for. Since I got mine, there have been a couple of firmware updates. My eBay seller has been really good about making these available 9and also providing technical support). You have to be pretty comfortable with technology before embarking on a firmware update.

My understanding is that Android Market – where all the cool apps are – isn’t necessarily supported by all Android tablets. It’s worth making sure anything you buy gives you access to the Market.

3G isn’t natively supported either, and it’s not clear yet whether it will be via a dongle, and which future firmware update will support it.

Not yet sure about battery life. I suspct it may not be great.

Would I buy one again? Absolutely! But, I’ve certainly learned that having a professional, knowledgeable, responsive seller is key to getting the most out of these things.

Ian in Northampton 13:38 09 Nov 2010

Keith: this is what I bought/who I bought it from.

click here

Woolwell 13:45 09 Nov 2010

Is he thinking of something like the Samsung Galaxy Tab? click here

Ian in Northampton 14:21 09 Nov 2010

Woolwell: why would you pay iPad prices for something that's not an iPad? ;-)

Woolwell 16:08 09 Nov 2010

I agree but Android was mentioned.

Ian in Northampton 16:13 09 Nov 2010

Woolwell: so was 'limited cash resources'.... ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires