Ancient Laptop!!Painfully Slow....

moby58 11:25 02 Apr 2010

Ive retrieved a 9 year old laptop from hibernation,and have made it wireless with belkin,and added virgin media security.Its painfully slow,and takes 5 minutes to load anything I click[internet or otherwise].I'm using disc cleanup at moment,but thats been half an hour,and has bareley moved!!Could it be the Virgin Security??Any ideas what i can do?Not much music/photos in memory....Help!!

birdface 11:35 02 Apr 2010

Maybe all the drivers need updating.
Maybe get rid of Virgin security and use MSE and Superantispyware instead.
What anti-virus was on it and was it removed properly.

ronalddonald 11:39 02 Apr 2010

you can from another computer download ccleaner onto a portable drive or a pen drive from fillhippo click here load it onto the laptop and run the cleaner and registry. see if that helps.

ronalddonald 11:40 02 Apr 2010

try running linux but i dont know if the hardware will work with it.

moby58 11:44 02 Apr 2010

previous security was avg...think i might remove virgin...never used it before,and was happy with avg

Woolwell 11:44 02 Apr 2010

How much RAM does it have and what is the OS?

moby58 11:50 02 Apr 2010

not sure about ram and os--i'm a basic user!i'm on a laptop in cafe at moment!think i will try a cleaner,and remove virgin..easy and basic for me

Woolwell 11:54 02 Apr 2010

Increasing the RAM may help but that depends on how much you have already. Also the hard drive size and how much space is left.
I suspect it is Windows XP but could be Windows 98. To find how much RAM go to All Programs - Accessories - System Information.

Jollyjohn 12:09 02 Apr 2010

Have patience! Download and install CCleaner and use this to remove all antivirus and other security, be aware you may need to uninstall avg more than once.
I am currently working on a Compaq laptop with only 256mb ram and things are very slow and I have found that AVG slows the laptop down even more.
I ran defrag on this laptop and it took 12 hours.
Work with the laptop disconnected from the internet initially

moby58 12:11 02 Apr 2010

its windows xp.should be lots of space on hard drive,as i deleted most of the stuff before it went in the drawer!shall check though.dont think i will increase ram,as its only a laptop to have in bedroom or kitchen

birdface 13:10 02 Apr 2010

AVG removal tool.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?