Anbody got an answer ?

Alf58 20:33 24 Oct 2004

Some of you may be aware I posted on Friday about How my XP Pro system was allowing me to click my name icon but then giving the message "logging off" before returning to the welcome screen again: so a continuous circle. After much toil, the only way to resolve the problem was to do a full reinstall of Windows. Hours and hours of hassle by the time I reinstaled all my applications etc.

Anyone know why this happened? A nice link to the relevant section Of Ms knowledge base maybe?
I'm scared this could happen again. When I shut down the day before the problem there was no warning all was not well. I had been using Nero "In CD" to back up some programmes. There was a problem with one of the back ups: it just froze for ages with the moving file icon displayed but then Windows noticed it wasnt responding and allowed me to shut it. No blue screens or dire warnings.

I was running C cleaner, A square, Adaware, and Window Washer. Dunno if the latter is relevant.

Maybe it was in CD? Any thoughts folks?

Alf58 20:56 24 Oct 2004

Obviously not.

curlylad 21:18 24 Oct 2004

See if this is of any help , many start up problems so you'll have to have a bit of a poke through them to see which is your particular 'poison' click here

VoG II 21:21 24 Oct 2004

I spend far too much time on this forum and I cannot recall the same symptoms being described.

Continuous rebooting *before* getting to the Welcome screen, yes, but your problem, no.

Alf58 21:28 24 Oct 2004

Thanks for the replies people. Trust me to have a unique problem!!!!!

Rtus 22:25 24 Oct 2004

virus scan ? maybe you have something loading the system your not aware of. another idea is a multiple line (duplicated)in the Boot .ini & corrupting it .How about trying system restore ?

THE TERMINATOR 23:37 24 Oct 2004

If it worries you that this problem may occur, then why don't you do a system restore point BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN your pc. I know it is long winded but at least you will have a reference point to fall back on. If it does happen again try booting into safe mode (press F8 key on bootup),,,,T

THE TERMINATOR 23:38 24 Oct 2004

If it worries you that this problem may occur, then why don't you do a system restore point BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN your pc. I know it is long winded but at least you will have a reference point to fall back on. If it does happen again try booting into safe mode (press F8 key on bootup)you can use system restore in safe mode)....T

Alf58 02:02 25 Oct 2004

The problem was I could not access system restore so even if I had a usable restore point I could not get to it. By the way if I had done a restore just before shut down on the night in question I would have been saving a bad configuration. I tried safe mode go to last good working wotsit but that that didnt work.

I did a repair reinstall and that worked until I reboooted then we were back to square one. Only cure was a full reinstall of Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires