Analyzing infection dangers

maltose 18:05 18 Aug 2006

I kave downloaded the 30 day trial EWIDO and ran the total scan. It found 9 infected objects all of medium risk and I clicked the recommended action of delete. I rescanned and there were no infected objects. I then went onto the internet via my google homepage and visited a major car manufacturer's web site and three car dealerships. On coming off the internet I rescanned and found two infected objects both trackercookies of medium risk. My questions are: 1. Should I be concerned at the apparent ease with which my PC becomes infected? 2. I have the free AVG, Windows Security Centre and CCleaner do I need all of these. 3. Should I subscribe to EWIDO after the 30 day trial?

ade.h 18:11 18 Aug 2006

1. Yes and no. I never get any malware, but you are only talking about tracking cookies. I suggest you use a whitelist.

2. What are you using for a local firewall? Not ICF, I hope.

3. No. That's a lazy option for people who don't want to run a regular scan. Just update it and initiate a scan once a week at most.

maltose 18:15 18 Aug 2006

Ade.h many thanks for response what is a "white list". My firewall is, I believe, Microsofts own contained in their security centre.

maltose 18:16 18 Aug 2006

Ade.h will my trial EWIDO not self distruct after 30 days?

VoG II 18:28 18 Aug 2006

All that will happen is that it will cease to update automatically.

ade.h 18:34 18 Aug 2006

Still stuck with IE, huh? That doesn't use a whitelist, which is a really dumb omission. Firefox/Opera/etc. allow you to block ALL cookies while still permitting those that are in your whitelist. You can still maintain a blacklist at the same time.

Ditch ICF (and the unnecessary Security Centre if you don't need the alerts).

curlylad 19:24 18 Aug 2006

maltose

You say you are using the windows firewall, I suggest you disable the windows firewall and try one of these free firewalls which are both very good.

Kerio Firewall click here

Zone Alarm http;//click here

The problem with the windows firewall is that it only monitors/checks inbound traffic.Most firewalls will check inbound and out bound traffic.The reason they check out bound traffic is to stop infections on your system dialling out or sending any manner of your personal and private info to, well, anybody.
Therefore the windows firewall is only really doing half the job of a good firewall, hope this makes sense.

maltose 19:25 18 Aug 2006

Ok things are getting clearer. I assume I have a the whitelist in CCleaner where I have ticked to save the cookies I need. Is ICF the firewall in Microsoft's Security centre? Is your advice therefore to uninstall the security centre and download another firewall. If so which one? Why didn't AVG pick up the infections that EWIDO found so readliy?

maltose 19:31 18 Aug 2006

So I have looked at the web page for Kerio and Zone Alarm; both are trial software offers. Does the same apply as VOG said of EWIDO? i.e. I can "manually" update the out of date software? Is this ethical?

maltose 19:34 18 Aug 2006

Firefox seems to be free with no strings - like AVG. if I go there is there any disadvantage?

maltose 19:39 18 Aug 2006

As we chat I am running EWIDO again and it has already found 5 infected objects and the only place I have been iss google and this forum. Where do these trackercookies come from?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?