ANALOGUE VIDEO TO PC TO CD-R: NTSC & PAL

Rabi 17:57 20 Nov 2003

Wish to transfer numerous Video 8 and Video Hi8 tapes to CD format.

Does it make a difference whether movies are PAL or NTSC? I travel around the world, and have tapes made on NTSC (USA System) and PAL (UK System). Can I convert all to disc on one PC, or do I need to use a USA card for NTSC and a UK card for PAL movies?

Thanks.

Chegs ® 18:45 20 Nov 2003

You should be able to do it on one puter,my card works with PAL(several flavours)and NTSC to.I use MovieMaker to edit the files,and it seems to care-not what flavour created the file as it still reads as AVI filetype.

Rabi 19:07 20 Nov 2003

Thanks, much appreciated.

What card are you using?

I am also told there is software that will convert PAL to NTSC (and vice versa) while it is on the Hard Disc. Do you know which software this is?

Chegs ® 19:32 20 Nov 2003

Once the file is on the pc it is in AVI format,MovieMaker(free from M$ for XP)can convert the UPLOADED file into PAL/NTSC.(Uploaded being back to camcorder,etc).I dont think the TV card I use to transfer video to pc can upload back to video recorder without utilising another of its connectors(it has s-video and phono type connections)but to get video tape from domestic machine to pc I simply use the TV coaxial connector and run a long length of coax from it to TV card.The result is not pure clear vid,but grainy and looks out of focus slightly.I also have a digi camcorder which I use to transfer tapes to as it has Ie1394/usb connections and the video has scart sockets,and I have just been experimenting on connecting "this to that" via "scart/dv,etc" and trying various apps to process the results,hoping to learn a bit more about DVD production,as my young daughter has been off to Spain to my mams,and the video tapes of these holidays I want to transfer to DVD.

Chegs ® 19:37 20 Nov 2003

I forgot to add,the TV cards I have are Pinnacle RAVE(£40 from Dixons)and I have just bought a Mercury TV card,that has more connectors and is able to produce more filetypes(its also got a Remote controller)for £25 from a puter fair. :-)

Rabi 18:21 21 Nov 2003

Thank you, Chegs, Much obliged, you have answered my question. Now, if only someone like you would answer my question on "IPAQ 3850 will not connect"...!:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?