Analogue video capture

greenlamp 21:25 14 Jun 2003

I have some analogue video camera tapes that I wish to transfer to VCD, there seem to be several options as regards video capture (USB and PCI), so before taking the leap, does anyone have experience of the sort of quality and resolution currently available devices give.

TBH1 23:43 14 Jun 2003

greenlamp - -there have been several threads on this over the last 2 days - - -do a search, there are one or two comprehensive, and I mean comprehensive, replies to this. The search facility on this site ain't what it was - -but mess about with your search criteria and you will be rewarded.As you are aware, there ain't half some clever people here - -even on a Saturday night.

greenlamp 00:12 15 Jun 2003

Thanks TBH1, I've seen at least some of those threads however what I'm after are people's feelings regarding how good the hardware is, after using it.

illegaleagle 15:00 15 Jun 2003

I have a pinnacle analogue capture card, it was about £100 and came with all the software to get you started (would reccomend adobe premier over pinnacle software though)

It generally works fine, but when i was using 98se, it did confuse the system a lot and cause my on board sound to stop working.

Xp however causes no such grief...
Ive heard the cards have come down in price since i bought it, and the quality appears to only be limited by the rest of the stuff in your PC/VCR setup, as it supports s-video cables which in my opinion a give about as good quality as VHS gets....

y_not 19:47 15 Jun 2003

Many people have only one or two videos to transfer.

Given the cost and learning time involved its worth thinking about having the transfer done professionally.

There are many people that offer the service and, as I said, theres also the learning time to take into account (maybe).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone