Amplifying Dell laptop sound through amplifier pro

Duncanf 19:54 01 Nov 2009

I often project video clips for a senior club and put sound from headphone socket through an amplifier but have been getting distortion. Someone suggested a SoundLab Direct Box SDB-40 but couldn't help with wiring fron laptop to amplifier via the Direct Box. Can anyone help please?

johnnyrocker 20:26 01 Nov 2009

what connections does laptop have?

johnny

Duncanf 21:07 01 Nov 2009

Thank for reply and sorry for delay. Not sure what symbols stand for but at the front there is a headphone socket (which I normally use)and I think the one beside it is for the old fashioned mouse connection. At the side there are USB connections, power adaptor socket and connection to projector. There also is what I think is an ethernet connection.

Duncanf 21:12 01 Nov 2009

Thanks for reply and sorry for delay. The front connections are a headphone socket (which I normally use) and what looks like the symbol for an old mouse connection (round socket).
At the side are USB connections, a video projector connection, a power adaptor socket and what I think is an ethernet connection.

Koochy 21:54 01 Nov 2009

this may be a silly question but have you tried turning the sound level down on the laptop to about the midway point and use the volume on the external amp, another problem may be if you have any graphic equalizer settings on, are you using windows media player? if so try switching off any audio enhancements off.

Koochy

Duncanf 22:04 01 Nov 2009

Thanks, Koochy. I HAVE tried adjusting sound levels as you suggested, also had graphic equaliser settings at midline. Often I've been using WMV files and projecting through either Windows Media player or Windows Movie Maker.
I'll try your suggestions again. Thank you.

Koochy 22:07 01 Nov 2009

What operating system are you using?

Duncanf 22:11 01 Nov 2009

I'm using Vista Home Premium

Koochy 22:14 01 Nov 2009

have you tried clicking on the speaker icon in the task bar? click this then click on mixer and check the sound levels in there (Make sure you have the program you are using to view the videos open)

K

Duncanf 22:22 01 Nov 2009

Thanks again. I don't have the amplifier at home but have always checked the Sound settings on the laptop. I'll have to bring amplifier home to link up and try these suggestions again. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone