amd x62

lodde 18:01 15 Jan 2006

following on from my previous post. Has anyone any recommendations for a motherboard for a amd x2 3800
preferably one that will work straight out of the box without having to flash bios ???
thanks

Mytob 20:02 15 Jan 2006

Id stay away fro x64 at the moment unless you are planning on using linux or bsd. Windows x64 isdownright atroshus bodge to satisfy 64 bit ppl like urself and well the reviews iv read are to say the least amusing to read. If this is the true 64 bit one then windows x86 wont work that well either from what iv been hearing and its rather unstable. If its the amd64 series then you may get away with it as they are not true x64 but just 2 x86 on the same chip. Untill longhorn comes out asuming you want to use windoz id stay away from x64 and stick with x86. Go for summin like the amd sempron as they are still good for gaming. I run a super game of doom 3 and F.E.A.R with a sempron 1.8 ghz 1 gig ram and a geforce 6 256mb. Linux works great on x64 as it has been compiled for x64 since the technology was first redily available for the public but isnt the easiet to get games going on as they are very few linux ports of games save id games and the ut series but performance is exelent on these.

Totally-braindead 22:02 15 Jan 2006

Don't agree, I have a X64 chip and its fine, stay away from the 64 bit windows certainly but theres no reason not to use an x64 chip with standard XP. I have the Asus A8NSLI and its a fine board. Really will need more info, how much are you willing to spend £50, £70, £100 more. What do you want on the board ie Firewire, SATA, PCI Express or AGP. If PCI Express do you want Crossfire or SLI so you put 2 graphics cards in. Need more info please, cost would be the main thing.

lodde 22:19 15 Jan 2006

thanks totally bd one of the boards I was thinking of was the asus or a gigabyte. as this is my first build was hoping not to have to resort to flashing a bios this time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer