AMD vs Intel

Craig.m 12:11 16 Jan 2007

Being an absolute beginner to this dual core malarkey and in the position of buying a new PC I was wondering which is now better or if they are pretty similar. useage will be Office, some gaming (nothing too strenuous), some image editing and other general stuff.

The choice I have presentl;y is:

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ 1MB SKT-AM2 and
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 2MB Cache Dual Core 64 Bit

You used to get a processor speed on a single core and it gave you a good yardstick as to their speed and such but now it is all numbers that don't mean so much to me. Is either of those a long way in front of the other or is it a *!@: up if the price is similar?

Chris-347369 12:16 16 Jan 2007

A lot of recent tests have shown the Intel Core 2 Duo chips to wipe the floor with everything else.

AMD are currently playing catch up.

Rigga 12:23 16 Jan 2007

Agree with Pyroxide, the Core 2 Duo chips are the bees knees at the moment.

Go for the Core 2 Duo, it will easily beat the X2 4200.

HTH.
R.

wee eddie 12:52 16 Jan 2007

Can I give you an analogy;.

If you are buying a new car. How much does it bother you if one can go 150mph and the other 170mph?

You are never likely to drive it at that speed and except for Extreme Gamers no one can discern the difference, the human brain is unable to function at that speed.

Mr Mistoffelees 13:22 16 Jan 2007

Go for the Intel Core 2 Duo. Whilst wee eddie is about right in what he says, if you have a choice and the price is very close, why buy the slower one?

Genius1 14:18 16 Jan 2007

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, which while is faster than yours I would still recommend. The Intel Core 2 Duo series is currently reinventing Intel after a bad couple of years with AMD streaks ahead. Intel are back on top with an excellent processor chip.

Craig.m 17:10 16 Jan 2007

Thanks for the feedback, it does appear that the intel is the one to go for, with twice the RAM in the price that makes it even more appealing.

I suppose it is a case of getting the fastest now to keep up for longer, it may not be too taxing with my usage at the minute but that may change or software may become more complex and the extra power will then be needed.

Craig

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?