AMD Triplecore vs Intel Core 2 Duo?

artfulsloucher 13:53 12 Jan 2009

Can anyone give me some advice on which processor to choose as a base for a barebones rig? I am aware that this is a huge subject and that it may be difficult to be completely objective due to personal preferences. However the two systems i have in mind only differ in price by around £15 with the AMD rig being cheaper.

The two processors are the AMD Phenom 8650 2.3Ghz and Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz.

Any views would be much appreciated.

pcmags 14:15 12 Jan 2009

You will not really notice anything unless you run multi-core software?

artfulsloucher 14:24 12 Jan 2009

I want the system to be able to handle what ever multi tasking is thrown at it as well as dealing games if required. Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by multi-core software?

artfulsloucher 14:24 12 Jan 2009

I want the system to be able to handle what ever multi tasking is thrown at it as well as dealing games if required. Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by multi-core software?

pcmags 15:39 12 Jan 2009

Go for the Intel.
Multi-core software could be a program that uses both cpu's to undertake work.
Most software will only use 1

Boinc is one that can use single, dual or quad core cpu's.

artfulsloucher 18:04 12 Jan 2009

Ok thanks for your help.

rustyboy 08:22 13 Jan 2009

programs that use more than 2 of your cores are few and far between at present.
for gaming the dual core intel processor would be far better. For normal everyday use i.e. microsoft office, various video players and browsers it will also be better. If you are thinking of the triple core purely as a future proofing then i wouldnt bother at this stage. Until more software companys make their software triple and quad core compliant you wont notice any advantages.
It would be better to look at the motherboard you are getting as some of them would allow you to place a triple / quad core processor into it at a later date. An example would be the
Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 motherboard. I have two PC's with this board in. One running an AMD 3.1 Ghz black edition dual core processor (my kids gaming machine) and the other running the AMD Phenom 9950 2.6 Ghz quad core processor. (my home/office machine).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone