AMD retention unit

  Thatslife 12:15 03 Jan 2007

Does anyone know where I can buy one from????


  keef66 12:22 03 Jan 2007

are you talking about the metal clip which secures the heatsink to the cpu socket? I think these only come with a new heatsink & fan (but this only costs about a fiver)
Or is it the lever arrangement which secures the cpu in the socket itself? If so, this is effectively part of the motherboard and cannot be replaced separately.

  SLAYER 12:25 03 Jan 2007

I was also looking for this item and found the only place to get it was the US. I eventually got my hands on a Knackered motherboard and took the bit from there.

  Thatslife 13:16 03 Jan 2007

keef66 - No it's the plastic thing screwed into the Mobo that the heatsink attaches to.

Slayer - I think that's the way I'm going to have to go. My Mobo is 754 socket. I take it all 754 Mobo's retention units would be similar?

  SLAYER 14:29 03 Jan 2007

Yes mate.

  keef66 14:39 03 Jan 2007

so the plastic bit around the socket is just screwed to the mobo? I always assumed it was part of the socket which in turn is soldered to the board and so couldn't be replaced. You learn something new every day!

  keef66 14:58 03 Jan 2007

I've also learned that if you google for 'Socket 754 Heatsink Retention Module' you get several hits on Ebay in the UK (which I can't look at because I'm at work and Ebay is verboten)

  Belatucadrus 16:11 03 Jan 2007

Try Quiet PC click here
click here
they do some retention modules for Intel and AMD and could advise as to what would suit if they have one that's applicable. Not the cheapest supplier, but very quick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?