AMD processors query

Totally-braindead 22:08 23 Jun 2003

I was wondering what the difference was between the different AMD Athlon XP processors, namely what is the difference between the XP2400+ Thoroughbred and Palomino. If I understand correctly the difference is in the thickness of the chip due to the different manufacturing processes, am I correct in this and will either of these processors work with a board which can take a 2400+ or is there some difference? Intend to put it in an Asus A7N266-VM/LAN. Also would appreciate it if anyone can tell me whether there is a performance difference between the 2 chips as I'm finding quite a price difference between them.

DAICAP 22:48 23 Jun 2003

Thoroughbred is the updated version of the xp.
Click on the link below for an explanation.

click here

Totally-braindead 22:58 23 Jun 2003

Brilliant DAICAP just the info I needed. Thanks very much.

LastChip 23:12 23 Jun 2003

I don't think AMD ever made a 2400+ Palomino chip, only the Thoroughbred version is available (I stand to be corrected!).If I am wrong, you will need to make sure which of these versions will run on your board.

You are correct about the manufacturing process being the smaller architecture. A by-product of this, is the chip will run slightly cooler, as the core voltage is less.

A quick review of your motherboard suggests it will support a 2400+ processor, so by inference, the Thoroughbred is the chip for your board.

I am puzzled about your "price difference". Where have you found a 2400+ Palomino?

Any performance difference will be negligible. The processor manufacturing process, is simply all about getting more transistors on a smaller silicon wafer, hence reducing manufacturing costs. It has nothing to do with performance!

billycn1 02:23 16 May 2005

I have a an AMD Athlon(tm)xp 1800+ fitted to my pc how easy would it be to upgrade this processor and will it make my pc preform better and run faster would appreciate any advice given
thanks
billycn1

georgemac © 08:26 16 May 2005

for those that are limited to 266 fsb, the mobile athlon xp is an excellent chip to go for, and can be easier to find than normal xp's.

I had an xp2200 mobile in my son's PC, which I overcloked by about 10%, temp never got above 41 degC at full load, vcore should be 1.45 volts but the motherboard setting was 1.55 volts, no problems.

I have just replaced it with an xp mobile 3000, for £56 off ebay. Vcore is the same as the normal chip, 1.65 volts, but it is overclocked from 2200 mhz to 2450 mhz at the moment, 43 degC on full load. Very happy with it.

I have heard some people saying they have had problems with their motherboard recognising mobile cpu's, I have not, but as long as you are happy to go into the bios and change settings, should not be a problem.

I have an excellent pdf file with all the athlon chip identification codes, settings, manu process etc. I cannot find where I downloaded it from but if anyone wants a copy email me via the envelope and I'll send it to you.

georgemac © 08:32 16 May 2005

the fastest Palomino was an XP2100 click here the other xp2400 was a thorton

LastChip 10:30 16 May 2005

Isn't that what I said in June 2003?

The inference of Totally-braindead's post was that he/she had found one - see "price difference".

georgemac © 11:02 16 May 2005

sorry - never noticed the dates! and was just confirming what you said was correct about the palomino and the fact there was also a thorton xp2400

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?