AMD CPU Update

Mick54 14:12 18 Oct 2007

Hiya I run windows xp Pro sp2 and have an AMD 2100+ cpu procesor with an AS Rock K7s8X motherboard and Nvidia Ti 4400 graphics card. I am thinking of updating the AMD to a 2800+ processor. I do not understand all the ins and outs of my pc but will I need to change any of the mobo settings or can I just do a straight swap with the processors and not have to alter anything. What do I need to know? Many Thanx Mick.

howard64 15:08 18 Oct 2007

first look in your mobo manual and see if it mentions that cpu. If not you may have to flash the bios. I replaced an xp1000 with an xp1800 and that mobo had a set of dip switches I had to set to get the new cpu working correctly.

martjc 15:09 18 Oct 2007

...download link for your manual.
click here=

They are usually quite clear on everything you'll need to know.

My thought is there will be no need to touch the MB. From what i remember, this model makes most adjustments itself, aside from minor ones in BIOS.

Manual will explain all.

keef66 16:12 18 Oct 2007

looking at the manual in the link, the fsb needs to be set using jumpers on the mobo. Do you know what fsb your new cpu needs?
(I have a socket A Athlon XP 2100+ and it runs at fsb 100 or 133mhz, but mine's set in bios, not on the mobo using jumpers)

Totally-braindead 16:48 18 Oct 2007

click here it will take a faster processor but its finding one that will be the problem as they are only available second hand.

keef66 09:49 19 Oct 2007

The very reason I never bothered upgrading mine. Faster socket A fsb 266 Athlon XPs are pretty scarce now and only available second hand on ebay, and I don't feel it's worth the risk for what would be only a modest performance increase.

My money will be better spent on a midrange Core 2 Duo bundle and a PCI-e graphics card

Mick54 09:55 19 Oct 2007

Hiya Many thanx to my question on AMD update it looks like I will have to see my PC builder. Ta Mick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?