AMD 64bit vs Intel 64bit vs Intel Dual Core..help!

skaria 12:42 24 Jul 2005

Hello again,
I woudl like to seek your expert advice on a dilema i am having.
I have decided to build a pc for the first time, and am trying to choose all the parts. However, i am stuck on what processor i should purchase.

I am seeking help on the following:

Intel Pentium 4 830 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 3.0GHz - 800FSB
+
Abit AW8-MAX Intel 955X (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard
CP-103-IN MB-077-AB

or....

Intel Pentium 4 640 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.2GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology
+
Abit AA8 DURAMAX Intel 925X (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard

or...

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - 2.4GHz
+
Abit AN8 SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard

Essentially, I would like to know which to purchase

AMD 64 bit
Intel 64bit
Intel Dual Core 64 bit

Unfortunately, Amd dualcore 64bit is too expensive for my budget.
Thank you in advance!!!!
I hope you can help......

DieSse 12:54 24 Jul 2005

I depends on what you plan to do, how long you want before you upgrade - and at this tme I would't suppose it makes any difference - they're all blindingly fast.

A dual core processor will be better in the longer run, as more applications become available to take advantage of it.

I get by quite happily with a 2.4GHz P4, and it does everything I ask of it (no games or video editing) with ample speed - that's why what you do is important when making a judgement.

skaria 13:06 24 Jul 2005

Thanks for the quick response, i really appreciate it.

I currently have a 2.56GHz Pentium 4 without HT, and that is quite slowish for what I do. I play a reasonable amount of games, for example Unreal tournament and GTA San Andreas, which do require a good processor, however I do not do any video editiong. i do not wish to upgrade this for a long time, a few years minimum, hence I want something that will not lag behind too quickly.

I do want to make this an investment so that it will be able to handle all the new programes. I hope this helps.

I have been told previously that AMD 64 bit is better that Intel 64bit, but I am not sure whether to purchase the AMD 64bit (about 2.4GHZ with HT), or the Intel Dual core (3.0GHZ wihtout HT).

I hope you can help

Thanks again!!!

I look forward to your response...

DieSse 13:13 24 Jul 2005

IMHO the dual core processor may be a bit slower today on many applications, but will be faster as programs are changed to use the multi-processor features. This is what I would choose, and why.

skaria 13:21 24 Jul 2005

Thank you very much for your opinion. I have understood that the dual cor would be a wise investment as programs are made to take full advantage.
Thank you very much
Does anybody else have any viewpoints on this matter?

skaria 15:19 24 Jul 2005

Any ideas???

skaria 11:50 25 Jul 2005

I have been reading on Tim's hardware guide that the AMD is generally a better processor, than the Inten dual core 64bit. Would you agree....

Major Disaster 12:02 25 Jul 2005

Yes, i cant really comment on the 64 bit aspect, but in many places i have read how a lower core clock amd x2 runs much faster than a higher clocked intel EE

skaria 12:38 25 Jul 2005

Thanks for that. has any body else gfot any mroe opinions???

Stuartli 13:54 25 Jul 2005

There's an old saying that patience is a virtue...:-)

Give people time to respond, especially in the middle of the day when most will be at work.

By the way, I think you mean Tom's Hardware website...

Ancient Learner 15:20 25 Jul 2005

I believe that AMD chips tend to run cooler than Intel of a similar power, and also are cheaper, which, presumably,is why the main makers of PCs in the UK anyway, ignoring Dell that is, use AMDs a great deal.

In the end. it's your brass that you are spending, and you have to decide between sheer brutal power, if you really need it, and the depth of your pocket. Personally, I'd go for the best AMD I could afford as it will be a 64 and able to cope with anything that is likely to occur in at least the foreseeable future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone