AMD 64 Dual Core Processors

LionJon 18:17 08 Oct 2006

I have an A.M.D. 64 Dual Core 3200+ PC. running Windows XP Pro. I have been led to believe that both cores are not necessarily active. Is there any way I can determine if this is true? and if it is, is there any way I can activate the second core if mine is using only one? Your comments please. Many thanks. LionJon

Cam-330894 18:48 08 Oct 2006

As far as I can tell both cores run at the same time and manage the load between themselves. My motherboard came with a monitoring prog and both cores appear to be running at the same time. Hope that helps.

Joe R 19:13 08 Oct 2006

LionJon,

the cpu will only use one core, if you are running a single application, and will use both, only when running dual (or more) applications, or software written to take advantage of dual core cpu's.

P.S. I didn't know there was a 3200+ dual core chip.

Totally-braindead 19:19 08 Oct 2006

You're right about that Joe R I just had a look on the AMD website and according to this click here= the slowest dual core was a 3800+.
Was this a misprint LionJon?

Ashrich 23:58 08 Oct 2006

To see if you have a dual core download Speed Fan click here , install it and when it finishes loading on the readings tab you will see both cores , I assume you meant 4200x2 dual core , they don't do a 3200 one .

Ashley

ashdav 00:05 09 Oct 2006

open task manager (ctrl/alt/del) and click on performance.
You should see two windows showing cpu performance history.
If any one has problems using these processors STRONGLY recommend they read this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?