ambit 256 modem and wired network problems

vincent1 19:33 12 Oct 2008

i am new to computres so i need help explained in basic terms i have a virgin media ambit 256 modem connected to my desktop pc down stairs via the modems ethernet port on the motherboard i have installed a network card to this computer as well and i am trying to do a wired network via the network card on my host computer and my upstairs pc direct to its ethernet port on the mother board so when i look at networks on my computer i have two listed the main one virgin is going through and lan 2 i persume this is my network card i have tried every thing i know but i cant get the computer upstairs to log on i can only connect the modem by the lan slot on the motherboard it does not come with a usb lead etc thanks for any help if this is possible to connect this way can some one tell me step by step i have been told i can do this using internet connection sharing ics both pcs are running xp home with identical mother boards is this possible to do as i will only have these two pcs connected i know the host pc has to stay turned on etc thanks vince ps i am using a crossed network lead i have also found it will not assign the client pc a ip address my host pc ip address starts with 86 is this the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?