AM2 940 or AMD 930?

Tick Tock 20:26 12 Jul 2006

About to buy new pc are there any real advantages at present to go for a pc with AM2 processor and AM2 motherboard,i have noticed AM2 motherboards can support up to 8GB of ram but its a few years yet before we would need so much if ever.

interzone55 20:30 12 Jul 2006

The AM2 chipset supports DDR2 memory, which in theory should mean that the PC runs faster, but this isn't bourne out in testing.

It's up to you whether you want a PC that is cheaper, but contains an end of line CPU, as AMD are switching almost all their consumer product line to this new socket. Or a PC that costs a little more, but can be upgraded at a later date

Tick Tock 21:36 12 Jul 2006

Yes i dont mind paying a bit more as you say upgading in the future will make the pc last longer
looking at it that way.Speed to the average user will probably not be noticed to much i suppose.I have seen some pcs with AM2 which compare pretty well to the AMD 930 socket at the moment.

Tick Tock 14:58 13 Jul 2006

I have just read a review which said as DDR2 has poor latency the main processor will need to be running at 2.4- 2.6ghz simply to ensure performance is not lost.So that would mean am2 x2 4600 or 4800,
my limit only streches to 4200 which runs at 2.2ghz
the other 2 being quite expensive.Would you go ahead with the 4200x2 or would it put you off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?