Am I loopy!

whiteribbon 22:11 03 Jun 2003

I have a broadband connection.When browsing Sometimes my connection appears to be slower than it usually is.I feel as though there is someone else accessing my system!My husband thinks i am loopy!(it never happens when he's online!)Can this happen even although I have Black Ice firewall and Macafee asap virus scanner (both of which came with my broadband connection) I also have a built in firewall with my Zoom adsl modem.
How can I tell and how do I sort it???

Giggle n' Bits 22:20 03 Jun 2003

is slowing things down a fair bit.

Personally Norton Anti Virus would be a better AV software.

If you run WinXP this has its own Firewall protection. Also Norton has some firewall security.

Think The 2 firwalls you have is overkill.

Run Disk cleanup, clear out your temp internet files, Cookies & Passwords for Ie.

Any utility software programes ?.

Giggle n' Bits 22:21 03 Jun 2003

Sorry finger trouble.

Giggle n' Bits 22:23 03 Jun 2003

can give different results ?

You didn't mention wich Broadband ISP your with also.

Pesala 22:32 03 Jun 2003

Results can vary quite widely. My results for NTL Home from click here

Mon, 20th May 2003 4:36 GMT

1st 128K took 16360 ms = 8012 Bytes/sec = approx 67 kbits/sec

2nd 128K took 8680 ms = 15100 Bytes/sec = approx 126 kbits/sec

3rd 128K took 8790 ms = 14911 Bytes/sec = approx 124 kbits/sec

4th 128K took 10220 ms = 12825 Bytes/sec = approx 107 kbits/sec

Mon, 26 May 2003 16:07:09 GMT

1st 128K took 10760 ms = 12181 Bytes/sec = approx 101 kbits/sec

2nd 128K took 8300 ms = 15792 Bytes/sec = approx 131 kbits/sec

3rd 128K took 7080 ms = 18513 Bytes/sec = approx 154 kbits/sec

4th 128K took 7360 ms = 17809 Bytes/sec = approx 148 kbits/sec

whiteribbon 22:32 03 Jun 2003

Thank you .
When I installed the broadband my pc was using Norton AV.BlackIce installed Macafee with the Firewall. My preference is also Norton as I am familiar with the workings. Do you think I caould reinstall it?I am running Win98 SE and i am using BT Openworld for my Broadband.
Please excuse my lack of knowledge here,but I would love to get to the bottom of it!!

Eagie 22:52 03 Jun 2003

As Achtung! says the time of day may make a difference.

Your ADSL line isn't just used by you. Domestic ADSL has a contention rating of 50:1 meaning that 49 other people could be using the same line at the same time as you. If those other people are just browsing, or many are not even online, then you will be able to operate at near maximum speed however if you all 50 of you are downloading large files then your speed will decrease.

Forum Editor 23:10 03 Jun 2003

that this apparent slowdown never happens when your husband's online..........

Does he normally use the machine at a different time of day - early mornings perhaps? I notice that you posted your thread after 10.00p.m. tonight - was the broadband service running slower then?

I can see which area of the country you're in, and you should have no special problems there - the exchange is a relatively new one.

Does the slowdown happen suddenly, while you're online, or is it much the same throughout a session?

whiteribbon 10:32 04 Jun 2003

Thanks for all your replies.
I am online at various times both day and night.
The slow down happens suddenly,which makes me think my files are being looked at!

Granger 11:10 04 Jun 2003

Could it be some software on your system that automatically checks for updates, like Norton or WinXP? Look for something that is user-dependent, and your husband has disabled but you don't. The 2 examples I just mentioned, I don't think they are user-dependent.

Or look for any other software that runs on startup that shows up in your system tray but not in his. If there is anything you have that he hasn't, try disabling it, either through the program's options, or run msconfig.

hugh-265156 13:11 04 Jun 2003

if you have kept your antivirus,firewall and windows up to date and scanned your system regularly,i doubt anybody is accessing your system.

if you have not done the above then do so and if your really paranoid then go to click here and do the firewall tests to put your mind at rest.

if you think it could be spyware then both adaware and spybot will search for and remove any found on your computer.click here click here. use both of these as they pick up on what the other misses.

do not be surprised if they find hundreds of tracking cookies etc,most of these are harmless and are used for instance for remembering passwords and usernames on web pages and so on.you can safely delete all that is found.

as said above,it is more than likely the time of day or the particular sites your visiting that are slow.im on ntl`s 600k service,most of the time its very quick but every so often if feels like i have dial up depending on what site in visiting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone