Am I just unlucky?

Murray 18:39 11 Sep 2003

I was having trouble accessing a website and I thought that Zonealarm was stopping me, so I closed it down and within about a minute, Avast Antivirus had found a virus in one the system files. so I restarted and ran a full scan at bootup - that sorted it.

I am just curious as to why I received the virus. I had not looked at any emails, I was on dabs.com and HSBC I think. could zonealarm have stopped this?

Th other reason I ask is because zonealarm is constantly reporting it has blocked access to my computer - the most recent one:
The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (ICMP Echo Request ('Ping')) from 81.131.22.154.

Time: 11/09/2003 18:39:08

since logging on 22 minutes ago, I have received 392 of these warning, is this normal? I remember a few years ago when I first installed Zonealarm I might get one or two blocks in a single session.

citadel 18:47 11 Sep 2003

I only get a few warnings a week. I would never disable anti-virus when on the internet.

The Idle one 18:53 11 Sep 2003

I think that you need to disable the warnings - Th f/wall / avirus works in the background.
The warnings are only to make u paranoid.

-pops- 19:10 11 Sep 2003

is

BT Research at Martlesham heath

-pops- 19:12 11 Sep 2003

I agree with The idle One.

I assume your ISP is BT.

Stuartli 19:41 11 Sep 2003

The vast majority of the "warnings" from ZoneAlarm are of no significance whatsoever, perfectly acceptable and should be ignored - the virus is most likely to have come in an e-mail and your AV has clearly caught it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017