AM I BEING THICK??

know_nowt 20:35 11 Feb 2009

Hi all!

I have old 8mm tapes from a very old camcorder.. an analogue camcorder. i dont have this camcorder anymore, however i want to transfer these old tapes to DVD, i realise that there are companies that do this for a fee however i have about 20odd tapes, so i would rather do this myself. could someone please explain how this can be done..? and what leads or whatever do i need to purchase.... thanks :)

Technotiger 20:41 11 Feb 2009

The leads are the easy bit - what are you planning to Play the tapes on?

Technotiger 20:43 11 Feb 2009

If you have a Camera that will play the tapes, then the best way to transfer them to DVD would be to hook it up to a DVD Player/Recorder, very cheap to buy these days.

know_nowt 20:43 11 Feb 2009

... they are old tapes of my kids and stuff and their dad has died, so as you can imagine i dont really want to be sending them away... any ideas????

Technotiger 20:45 11 Feb 2009

Perhaps you could borrow an 8mm camera, then proceed as I have already said.

Technotiger 20:47 11 Feb 2009

If you were anywhere near my location, I would be happy to let you use my equipment. I am in the Portsmouth area.

know_nowt 20:48 11 Feb 2009

i thought that would be the best way to do it... i just thought they may have been a quicker way than transferring them to VHS and then to DVD... what a potch!! never mind i guess i cant cut out the middle man,,, so when they are VSH format... how do i hook that up to the PC?

know_nowt 20:50 11 Feb 2009

i am in south wales very kind offer though!! dam shame! :)

Technotiger 20:50 11 Feb 2009

I don't know if you misunderstood me - but where did the VHS come from? If you have a camera that could play the tapes, they could be recorded direct to DVD.

know_nowt 20:52 11 Feb 2009

see i am thick!! how could i do that as its analogue.. i cant find any leads which can do the job of the transfer :(

Technotiger 21:14 11 Feb 2009

Analogue makes no difference, the Camera would connect to the Phono sockets, usually on the front of the DVD Player/Recorder. As in this picture of my own setup - the phono leads shown, are coming from my camcorder and although they are connected through the VHS VCR, that in turn is connected via Scart to the DVD Player/Recorder beneath it. Which means that I can bypass the VCR and record direct from the camera to DVD.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?